• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carbed 302 emissions.

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 1986 ranger, and it is fuel injected. I am trying to decide on a motor swap. I live in Ohio, and the emission laws crap make no sense to me.
If i do the v8 swap i would carbed, because carburetors make sense to me, and I know how to work with them. What i don't know is if i go with a carburetor set up, if I'd be able to meet emissions.

Not dealing with them is not and issue, as I have a nosy neighbor who is a state highway patrol officer, and two uncles who are cops.

I know i am going to get in trouble for the truck no mater what I do, but i would rather get in trouble for doing something stupid that is fun, rather than stupid because I didn't build it right.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Generally as long as it meets the specs of the vehicles model year or better you are good. But if this includes a visual inspection you may be in trouble. Dunno what the regs are there but by '86 if a vehicle still had a carburator it was junk, you may be stuck with the factory styled junk carb with vacuum lines out the ying-yang and low power if you go that route. I don't know how stringant they are there though about aftermarket stuff.

Your truck being an '86 is probably already fuel injected so a EFI swap would be easier for you. If it is carburated originally (I know the 2.0 was carbed until the late 80's) I would go with a TBI setup, it is the best of both worlds IMO... that is what I am planning on doing eventually.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Look in your states exemptions, all states have them. It will be similar to here in PA, 5000 miles or less a year and you can run pretty much whatever you want.

Matt

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do a carbed 351W swap. The only carbed Ford's then I think were the Police package 351's. Give it a cop car paint job. Your cop neighbor will be impressed, your uncles will love you for it.:icon_thumby:

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
351 HO Broncos were carb'd till '87..

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at my states emissions, and they are confusing as hell,

I would give it a cop car paint job, but... I have spent a lot of money on the paint job already,

Bronco's had a carbed 351, really.... hmm....

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
in was after 25 years any vehicle is exempt you may want to look into the laws deeply

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Go ask any emissions inspector, they will know. Don't look for a tight wad at some large chain garage, look at a speed shop type place that does inpections; they will tell you what you need. Your DMV will be little to no help they have no idea. They will refer you to the state. The state will know for sure. They will tell you what you need to do to be completely legal or what you need to do to be exempt. Most of the states are very similar. To be completely legal the engine needs to be same year or newer than the vehicle that it's in. If its factory fuel injection it needs to remain that way. It must have the equilivant emissions to the vehicle and retain the same emissions equipment such as EGR, converters and so on. To be exempt you can go a few ways. Retitle the truck to a custom/hotrod, they are exempt. Or look for the a milage clause, most are 5000 miles or less a year. This is for PA, but I would highly imagine yours would be very similar.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals