• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

carb'd 2.3 questions

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
I'm looking at getting back into a ranger soon, and I may have found a suitable successor to my beloved BB, The RedBull Ranger, in the form of a very nice 1984 2WD 2.3 5spd, I'm just going to assume its carb'd. I still have to go look at it but I have a few questions, forgive me as I dont know to much about carb's but Im wanting to learn. What can I expect for mpg for the carb'd engine, I know the EFI 2.3's are mid 20's to low 30's, so from carb'd Id expect and be happy with high teens to mid 20's. Also, it kinda seems like a stupid question to me because all engines were carb'd once, but would I be able to reliably DD this vehicle in today's world with having a short highway commute for school?

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I used to drive a carbed truck, you should be fine with that aspect. Since you live in a colder climate however, I'd make sure that truck has a functioning choke as well as a block heater. That should aid in cold weather starting.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Install a MANUAL CHOKE.
In cold winters thats the only way to go with carbbed. Just don't forget about it ;)

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Thanks guys, it really helps. I need to do more research on carb's if I get end up getting it. I really want to get back in a ranger...miss mine so so much.

I did find my own answer to the mpg question...silly me, I shoulda searched for it.
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30962&highlight=manual+choke
Looks like if everything is in good working condition, mid 20's will be easily obtainable.

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
i have to disagree with the manual choke guy.
an automatic choke is better in every way.
just adjust it as it gets colder, don't wait till
it's 25 below.
but i would throw that stock one barrel as far as i could.
i use a mustang manifold and carb.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had a 2.3 carbed mustang and it gets mileage similar to the efi when geared right and maintained. The choke will be your best friend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad