• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb air mixture solenoid

Sgt fink

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have an early 83 ranger 4x4 with 2.3 it is a high altitude truck carb has air mixture solenoid on carter carb what controls this to engage at speed there is what looks like a control switch on fender but this truck doesn’t match the all data site info if anti has seen this before please help we can’t pass smog test with it not working running way to rich

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a "feedback carb" system then you will have an O2 sensor, these will cause rich running as they get too old

When was yours last changed?
1983 would not be a "heated" O2 sensor, so not very expensive, under $25

Not familiar with Carters feedback system, try Googling: carter carb altitude adjustment

Sgt fink

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No O2 sensors on this truck that’s what all data said but apparently early 83 was something different it’s actually built 11/82 first run of the small rangers

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Mine is an early '83 as well. It had the Carter YFA feedback carb too. The O2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold; if it has the feedback system I would think it had to have had an O2 sensor. It has a single wire coming out of it.

From what I could gather, the solenoid is controlled by the 'computer.' That's in a box on the passenger fender under the hood. It clicks on/off at a given frequency to allow more or less air into the carb to lean out the mixture in response to the signal from the O2 sensor.

Sgt fink

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks but nothing on passenger fender that’s what all data showed and there’s a plug in the manifold but no wires disconnected or cut

docmott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
I have an early 83 ranger 4x4 with 2.3 it is a high altitude truck carb has air mixture solenoid on carter carb what controls this to engage at speed there is what looks like a control switch on fender but this truck doesn’t match the all data site info if anti has seen this before please help we can’t pass smog test with it not working running way to rich
Are you in California? if so I think if over so many years old you don't need a smog ck?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
That system was called MCU, microprocessor control unit and it didn't do a lot beyond operation the feedback solenoid and run the TAB and TAD solenoids for the Thermactor(air pump) system. It sounds like most of yours has been stripped off. The solenoids started failing so often that I'd change them in the yard and not bother dispatching the job to a tech. Initially the solenoids were $98 at dealer cost- 98 1983 dollars- and after Ford bought a bunch on warranty claims, the price dropped to $12.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals