• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb 2.9

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Has Anyone used this manifold?

2 or 4 Barrel Intake Manifold

Application: 2.9 V6 Ford

Any year, any model

Includes; Morana exclusive custom intake, hardware,
carb spacer adapter (2 or 4 barrel option)
carb gasket, lower intake adapter plate.

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yes the 4bbl tom morana intake.

While it would bolt on the TFi Ignition is totally dependent on the EFI, and no a 2.8 distributor wont work.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm wanting to run an aftermarket 4 barrel. And a megasquirt engine manger no intention on keeping the stock setup. The oem fuel system wouldn't be able to support what I'm wanting to do. So I dont see a point in keeping it. Do they any flow good?
Is there an aftermarket distributor supply for this engine? I'll have to start looking into that issue

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm wanting to run an aftermarket 4 barrel. And a megasquirt engine manger no intention on keeping the stock setup. The oem fuel system wouldn't be able to support what I'm wanting to do. So I dont see a point in keeping it. Do they any flow good?
Is there an aftermarket distributor supply for this engine? I'll have to start looking into that issue
Honestly i dont know of anyone who has ran one.

Youre in uncharted waters with that one. As far as i know there is no mechanical distributor options for a 2.9. i looked into converting mine when the EFI was giving me fits.

You *might* be able to convert a early vaccuum advance 2.8 distributor, but i honestly dont know. Maybe contact morana and see what he reccommends?

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly i dont know of anyone who has ran one.

Youre in uncharted waters with that one. As far as i know there is no mechanical distributor options for a 2.9. i looked into converting mine when the EFI was giving me fits.

You *might* be able to convert a early vaccuum advance 2.8 distributor, but i honestly dont know. Maybe contact morana and see what he reccommends?
I'll email him and see if I get a response otherwise I'll have to stick with the oem system as far as I can tell

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello,

There is no distributor on the market, so we have custom made a distributor for it. Also with the carb'd intake and custom distributor, you'll also need a module box and carburetor, which we can suppy all if interested.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email or call us back.

Tom Morana,
Affordable Performance
DBA Morana Racing
905 426-FORD
877 412-2815
www.moranaV6racing.com

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd think a 2.8 distributor with a 2.9 gear on it might work.

Or an A9L MSD box.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'd think a 2.8 distributor with a 2.9 gear on it might work.

Or an A9L MSD box.
Arnt the 2.8 and 2.9 distributor shafts a different size?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am seriously contemplating this also (2.9 carb). I was thinking of fabricating a plenum box to sit on top of the lower fuel injection intake to accept the carb, and use a MSD 6AL-2 box for the ignition. The TFI distributor will run this box and then you can program your advance curve. It also has a spot for a MAP sensor so you can have the vacuum advance function also.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I am seriously contemplating this also (2.9 carb). I was thinking of fabricating a plenum box to sit on top of the lower fuel injection intake to accept the carb, and use a MSD 6AL-2 box for the ignition. The TFI distributor will run this box and then you can program your advance curve. It also has a spot for a MAP sensor so you can have the vacuum advance function also.

That actually might be the better option over trying to cobble a 2.8 distributor. Espicially if your good at programming timing curves.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Arnt the 2.8 and 2.9 distributor shafts a different size?
I have no idea. I have never actually worked on a 2.8.

I was reading about carb 2.9s on a Sunbeam forum a while back, and someone actually did manage to get a 2.9 running with 2.8 intake and carb and such, but the end result was reportedly terrible. All the bolt holes and coolant jackets lined up, but the intake runners didn't line up with the ports at the heads correctly, and so it had massive vacuum leaks, no power, and sucked down fuel. Reportedly while the engine did run it has worse power and fuel economy than either engine in stock form and the idea was quickly abandoned.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to think of a easy material to fabricate a long rectangular box to sit on the original lower fuel injected intake. Possibly some sort of phenolic that I could cut with a saw, and use hole saws for the carb mount. I was a little worried about the volume of the plenum and how the carb would react to that, but I am thinking it would be no worse than the 300 six manifold. It's basically a long plenum with each cylinder runner branching off.

I would leave the fuel injectors in if I could in the beginning to just plug the holes up. But if they were in the way of the plenum I would have to go ahead and plug the holes. Maybe find some aluminum rod that was close to fitting, and then put some jb weld around it and stick it in the holes to plug off where the injectors used to be.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
P.S. I have an idea, from the way my 2.9 ran with the fuel injection, I bet it would accept a small 600 cfm holley with no problem. It would be one of my experiments if I ever got this idea started. If a stock crappy 302 with 140hp factory will wake up with a 4 barrel intake and a little holley 600, I would think a 2.9 high winding v6 that made 140hp stock could benefit also from the same carb. I can tell you having owned a 2.9, and now driving a 2.8, there is no comparison, the 2.9 cologne will run circles around a 2.8 cologne.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
P.S. I have an idea, from the way my 2.9 ran with the fuel injection, I bet it would accept a small 600 cfm holley with no problem. It would be one of my experiments if I ever got this idea started. If a stock crappy 302 with 140hp factory will wake up with a 4 barrel intake and a little holley 600, I would think a 2.9 high winding v6 that made 140hp stock could benefit also from the same carb. I can tell you having owned a 2.9, and now driving a 2.8, there is no comparison, the 2.9 cologne will run circles around a 2.8 cologne.
It's possible to overcarb and engine. A 302 has another 2 liters of displacement on the 2.9.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals