• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Car/truck insurance?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Here in Michigan, we pay some of the highest insurance rates in the US. We go through a local independent agent and get insurance through Auto Owners. Bundled with our house, we still pay a really high rate.
What do you guys use? Is Progressive any good?
I don't need to know how much you're paying necessarily, more about how they deal with claims, etc.
Thanks,
r

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I use a 3rd party agent that matches me with the best coverage provider. I haven't changed providers for a while, but it's not uncommon. I've had to replace the windshield on my '19 Santa Fe, because full coverage insurance covers 100% of the costs, and it's illegal to have a cracked windshield in Florida. That being said, I've had NO issues with claims being taken care of.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've had Progressive for a long time. I got rear ended by someone that also had Progressive a couple years ago now, just dented the tailgate on my '97, did their online submittal thing where you take a video walking around the vehicle and they determined I'd get like $550 for dealing with it myself (just the tailgate was damaged...) and I had money in my bank account in like 3 days... apparently they're decent to deal with from what I've heard from others that worked at a body shop too...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've used the same agent for over 30 years but switched companies. I had Peerless insurance from Keene, NH for decades until they were bought by Safeco. I asked our body shop manager about Safeco and he warned me away from them. In NH it's illegal to fix a 2 year old vehicle with other than OEM parts. He had a customer in 2012 with a 2010 car that Safeco wanted fixed with counterfeit parts, saying it was 3 years old. 2010, 2011, 2012 counted as 3 years for them.
Progressive was also awful to work with and wanted to do shoddy repairs. We had a Focus show up with the owner saying "every light on the dash was on". She bought it elsewhere and her salesman sent her to us, rather than recommend his own flat rate shop- because he knew we'd actually try to fix it. We found 52 dtcs in it- every system had faults. We cleared the memory and road tested it trying to repeat the faults but couldn't. After several days we gave it back and told her to call us immediately when the faults reappeared because we had done nothing to fix it. It came in on a car hauler with the Progressive Snap Shot still plugged into the data link.
Far and away the best insurance company we dealt with was USAA, they wanted cars fixed right and returned to the customer quickly.
It's great to save money but it's better to have good dependable coverage.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think it depends on what coverage you want. If it's just liability, go with who ever is cheapest (in my case that is Progressive, $96/month for liability on 7 vehicles.) I switch companies every other year or two, my agent deals with a bunch of different companies and will get me the best deal. I have also found through working with them that "bundling" has never saved money. Convenience, maybe, but it has always been more expensive to use one company for everything.

The one company I have had shitty experiences with is American Family. I had two vehicles hit by their insured drivers, not my fault, and their adjusters are just assholes. Rude, will try to low ball you and delay your claims and both times they tried to pin part of the blame on me. I had to complain to the state insurance board both times to get it resolved.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve had or had dealings with a good number of different ones. None of them seem to be very good with anything beyond minor stuff. Progressive said they would pick up my medical from an accident months ago and I presently have a big stack of nasty-grams from people who haven’t been paid yet. When I complained they told me to use my health insurance. Health insurance says they want nothing to do with it and the auto has to pay. It’s a disaster.

The Hartford was another miserable one to work with.

All of them seem to have no shame in blatant lies, they will do everything to devalue a vehicle so they don’t have to pay out much. I had one try to total my F-150 for hitting a deer, which if I remember right, it cracked a headlight bucket, bent the bottom of the core support, and shattered the fender liner. Dad’s Ranger that got wrecked years ago the insurance priced it out as a lower optioned truck and then made claims that were so beyond ridiculous, like, we found this “similar” Ranger (it wasn’t at all similar) at a dealership and they want $10k but we feel you can get them down to $3k so that’s all we are giving you. Dad called the insurance commission and insurance fraud and they said that because it was the insurance company doing it, there was no fraud.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have Erie. That’s what my wife had before we got married. Seems to be very good. Much easier to deal with then other companies I’ve had dealings with.

Whatever you do I would stay away from Geico. Never heard anything good about them, don’t have anything good to say about them.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
There are advantages with local independent agencies. For one, you can call them on the phone and they know who you are. To me, that's a big deal

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Geico was great when I was in my early 20's. Cheapest insurance I could find and they had a local office. They quickly became one of the most expensive as I got older and I had to drop them, and their local office closed up.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Around here they seems to be the cheapest option. It’s very easy because they don’t pay any claims.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We've used progressive for many years. Rates took a pretty good beating when we had two young drivers at home. A local independent state farm agent was going to beat progressives price and we were about the switch. Hail storm come through and damaged our roof pretty good... so we had to stay on board until the roof got repaired. They paid out pretty hefty to fix the roof on that big ass house. Then we sold it and down sized... kids moved out and their rates were the cheapest again. We've never had any problems with claims... but we have only have a couple in about 15 years.

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
I am in FL which has insane insurance prices. Travellers gave me the best rate. I've had Progressive, Safeco (Liberty Mutual), 21st Century, Farmers, and Geico over the last few decades. USAA quotes me absolutely insane rates, double everyone else's rates and they can't tell me why.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For Geico and USAA if you haven't served in the military or work for the government you will NOT get a good rate (GEICO is Government Employee Insurance Co, USAA is United Services Association of America I believe...), if that helps answer any questions on that...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
What are opinions on the various options? Comprehensive, collision, liability, property damage I believe are the big ones in FL. I don't recall specifics, but the max for the various options range from like 20k to 5M. 10k is probably plenty for any of them, but what if I really hurt someone? What if I get a blowout and plow through a Bently dealership?

Edit: forgot to give a company opinion. USAA is not quite half the price of everyone else for me. I used to shop around, but no one ever came remotely close.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For Geico and USAA if you haven't served in the military or work for the government you will NOT get a good rate (GEICO is Government Employee Insurance Co, USAA is United Services Association of America I believe...), if that helps answer any questions on that...
After however many eons of commercials I don't think the little lizard has ever mentioned that...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals