• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't Get The Timing Right

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I jury rigged the ecu back up. With the plugs set 180 how I had it, I got puffs of exhaust out the intake. With the plugs put back the way I had them, I got no puffs. I'm going to have to leave the ecu hooked back up now, aren't I?

I'm guessing the cam is off. Pull the belt, give it a spin, reattatch belt, try again?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
as long as your cam and crank timing marks are lined up you should be good.

did you reconnect the green wire on the coil?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm guessing the cam is off. Pull the belt, give it a spin, reattatch belt, try again?
if reconnecting the green wire to the coil doesn't work, then yeah maybe the cam is off, but when you pull the belt, spin the crank once, and not the cam.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if reconnecting the green wire to the coil doesn't work, then yeah maybe the cam is off, but when you pull the belt, spin the crank once, and not the cam.
That won't make a bit of difference. The valves are what determines what stroke happens when, and the valves are controlled by the camshaft.

Assuming TDC is lined up properly already, then rotating either the cam or the crank independent of each other will never change a thing, as long as you line up TDC properly when you're done. And if you don't line up TDC, you'll just make things worse.

If you're trying to adjust timing, that is done by adjusting the distributor relative to the camshaft. It appears he's already done that, so the problem is probably not timing.

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
That won't make a bit of difference. The valves are what determines what stroke happens when, and the valves are controlled by the camshaft.
you're right...of course it won't. I just love it when my fingers type faster than my brain can work.

the sad part is, I would have been out there turning the crank before logic set in and I asked myself "hey donkey: what the hell are you doing?" ;-)

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should I post a video of what it does when I crank it? I've got a bit more time now, but I still need to get this thing running preferably ASAP.

As a backyard mechanic, the best I can describe it is that it cranks, gets compression, fuel, but i'm not sold on the spark, or the timing whatsoever. The spark is still not as strong as i'd like, and I'm still not sure I have the timing set properly. I don't want to pull the valve cover as I just put that new-fangled gasket on it, and I don't want to accidentally ruin it.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the timing is good according to the timing light, I'd trust it for now.

Get your spark issue sorted, see if that helps, then re-visit timing and other possibilities afterwards.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's getting spark, and stronger now that i've hooked up the ecu again, it's sparking better now. I'm fairly certain my issue is timing since it backfires out the intake.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

timing mark should be lined up like so

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
you said it ran before you changed the head gasket (and removed the ECU), but you didn't say you'd changed or adjusted the timing belt. if that's correct, then the cam and crank should be fine and that's not your problem.

i'd go back to the basics and recheck your ignition wiring.

Engine:
Front

Distributor:
Front

If that all checks out, use the rubber hose method to find TDC on your #1. Once you've found that, pop the distributor cover and see where the rotor is...if it's not on #1, pull the distributor and set it back in so the rotor is on #1.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the head completely, the cam was turned while off the block. I'm tempted to turn the cam a. Revolution and put the timing belt back on to see if that helps with the problem. My engine is also an '83, and does not have a timing mark on the oil pump gear. Where the 12 o'clock position is it has a mounting bolt there.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rubber hose method?

How would I set this up if I had built the engine from parts?

Also, should I be able to turn the camshaft by hand? Or by a standard wrench only?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
That diagram is for later model 2.3s. On the 83 just worry about the cam and crank marks lining up. Rubber hose: stick one end in the #1 plug socket, and hold the other end to your cheek (even better, in your mouth). Hand turn the crank until you feel pressure...this means piston is on compression. Just when compression turns into suction, you're at about TDC. This will only do you any good so long as cam and crank are set correctly.

gtkid2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know it's been a while, and I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this, haven't been working on it.

I've tried to change the timing (thinking the camshaft went in firing order, then realized it was either going to get compression or not), tried putting in a working battery, used raw gasoline, used just starting fluid, used both, and it still won't fire.

At this point, I'm starting to wonder about Spark. It's -getting- spark, but in all honesty it doesn't seem to spark as hard as when it did before I changed the HG. I'm going over things in my head that I may or may not have altered when I changed the HG.

Any quick ideas how to boost the spark?

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Try replacing the condenser which is probably mounted on the coil. It makes a big difference on old points style ignitions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals