• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cant find the snapring

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I was thinking that to... just degraded to the point of you taking the dust seal off it just disappeared or became one with the dust seal and you think the dust seal fit in the groove.... when in reality it's a snap ring groove.

Like I said... I've experienced a few that didn't give up without a pretty good struggle. I've always managed to get them out in vehicle though.

Here is the bad part... new seals don't always fix the leak. The shaft may be worn and not provide a good sealing surface.

If I had to pull one out to fix... it would probably get a reman or new steering box.

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well last night after work I took the box out of the truck and got it on the work bench. I was able to get the rest of the dust seal out and there was a metal spacer a little over an eighth inch thick and once I took it out the snap ring was under that. I removed the snap ring to find the oil seal. Both seals appeared to be aftermarket. The seal kit I bought did not have any spacers in it and the picture in the instructions did not show ant spacers.

So now my question is does all boxes take spacer? Or should I put it back the way the pic shows?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The link I posted I think some said not to use the spacer... thats the trouble with someone being in there before you. You just don't know how it came from the factory.

Get a good look at the sector shaft... someone before you may have changed the seal location due to wear on the shaft hoping it would seal better in a new position.

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well I put the new seals in taking extra care to inspect the shaft and housing every thing fit as it should triple checked the snap ring to make sure it was in the groove. Put it back on bleed the air out of it started the truck it seemed fine. Let it down off the jack stands and with the weight of the truck on the tires did not even make it from lock to lock and the box is leaking worse than before. So I guess its time for a reman box.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've had a couple success stories when doing these... but have also had them go the other way like yours did.

At least you've had the box off already... putting a reman on should be a breeze.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Last steering box I tried to "fix" ended in a nightmare disaster and shot fluid out like a fire hydrant so don't feel too bad. Sometimes the shaft is just too worn for the seal to work.

I've also bought remanufactured boxes that leaked like hell for the same reason so don't keep your hopes too high that a replacement box will work any better. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals