• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Canadian Truck imports?

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
One of the perks of living so close to Canada is access to a different domestic market. While shopping for a new F150/250 I discovered a few companies that specialize in selling Canadian trucks to Americans. They claim it is a single form at the border and that's it, you're driving your maple syrup load straight on home.

They didn't list any specific benefits to buying Canadian other than price...

Did the Canadian trucks get anything the Americans didn't, like stick shift in later models or more power... things that would make leaving my bald eagles behind for a trip to Canadistan worth it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no benefit except exchange rate at the time you buy

Drawbacks are speedometer gauge is in KPH with MPH in small numbers, unless its a digital dash that can be switched back and forth
Or you can swap in a US dash when you have time

I met my wife(canadian) when I was up in Vancouver on one of several trips I was making bringing in Cadillacs and Lincolns from SoCal to sell in Canada, that was 30 years ago, lol
Wasn't much paper work or cost to import going that way
And I did hear, but back quite a few years that trucks were a good deal in Canada so you could save a bit of money by importing them, but haven't heard that recently

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
One of the perks of living so close to Canada is access to a different domestic market. While shopping for a new F150/250 I discovered a few companies that specialize in selling Canadian trucks to Americans. They claim it is a single form at the border and that's it, you're driving your maple syrup load straight on home.

They didn't list any specific benefits to buying Canadian other than price...

Did the Canadian trucks get anything the Americans didn't, like stick shift in later models or more power... things that would make leaving my bald eagles behind for a trip to Canadistan worth it?
There’s a secret little robotic arm that pops out from behind the visor and stamps a big red maple leaf in the middle of your forehead. The ink is a special mix that permeates through your skin and makes you an instant hockey fan. Other than that, no problem.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I found a couple PowerSmoke trucks up in Kelowna (a bit north of 4 hours drive) or in the area for considerably less than one in worse shape in the US. The importers are based in Calgary, their gig involves buying Canuck trucks, rebuilding/bulletproofing, and shipping to the border for pickup. The dash panels have been interchangeable with other OEM dashes since at least the early 2000s.

There’s a secret little robotic arm that pops out from behind the visor and stamps a big red maple leaf in the middle of your forehead. The ink is a special mix that permeates through your skin and makes you an instant hockey fan. Other than that, no problem.
I can't talk about my other maple leaf stamp outside the Tailgate but my lady friend knows all about it ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals