• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can you be misdiagnosed with Diabetes?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My question is can A1C drop that fast? Or was something abnormal going on? I had zero symptoms of anything. Still dont. Except i have much more energy now.

Its type 2 if it matters. Either way just wondering if anyone else has been through this and if such a drop is possible in 2 months if something was acyually wrong
I might have missed the main point of your question, sorry.
Can you be misdiagnosed? No.
What can happen is that over a short term of bad diet and no exercise, normal people can have an abnormally high blood sugar and A1C. Just working your pancreas too hard.
That's what they call pre-diabetic. In other words, you are at risk of diabetes if you don't change your ways. Change some things and you can hold it off.
I'm legit Type 2 and I got to where my insulin dose was pretty low so my doctor agreed to try going without insulin. Problem was that watching my diet that close and working out a lot I lost too much weight and got down to 160 pounds, too thin for me, and my blood sugar was creeping up anyway. Called the doctor and said put me back on insulin, I lost too much weight.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Doctors get kickbacks on the drugs they sell, ever hear of the opioid crisis?
They also make mistakes and misdiagnosis. Try taking a perfectly good car to a shop and you will have tested the theory
It is near impossible to find a good honest doctor

I go to doctors but don't always listen, and maybe I won't as long due to it, but that's just me

My father went by several books on healthy eating, I have one of them here named "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that I reference fairly often, it's an older version tho.

He liked to have a beer occasionally never more than 2, and I never saw him drunk or tipsy.
Worked hard every day, never ran around.

And he didn't trust doctors, mention doctor to him and he could rattle off how many people got the wrong leg cut off, the wrong lung taken out, just about every number you never wanted to know.

He had memory loss right at 80, and had to be put in 24/7 care to keep him from wandering off. I had been in Tennessee and looking for a chance to move back home but he was already in the home when I got moved. At the home they'd load em up at regular intervals to see the Dr, and one employee didn't know not to tell him. The nurse came out and called his name and said "the doctor will see you now".
He was out that door like a rocket and it took six nurses to tackle him.

He didn't know anybody but everybody was his friend. He didn't know me, he just knew I was someone who came to see him, checked him out and took him to my sisters place near there for a couple hours, and alwats had one cold beer for him to enjoy

He died at 83 years old for no reason at all, he was just plain wore out

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
People are shocked when I tell them Doctors are just like car mechanics. But it is true. You have good ones, you have ok ones, and you have bad ones. The car mechanic can have a ASE badge, the Doctor can have a diploma on the wall, it doesn't make any difference.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did see a cartoon about that once.
The mechanic was fixing the doctors car and remarked their jobs were a lot alike.
The doctor asked if the mechanic could do that with the engine running ;)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I had to go back more than once for a medical problem and I told the doctor that, in my business, that's called a comeback, it's a source of shame, and I have to fix it at no charge. He didn't think it was funny and I didn't intend it to be. Doctors are like mechanics in that they aren't all the same and some are better than others. The difference is the doctor can screw up and the patient might still get better. If the patient doesn't understand what the doctor says, they still respect him. If they don't understand the mechanic, they often assume he's ripping them off.
In April of 1972, 3 friends and I spent a day in Manchester, NH going through an 8 hour physical and aptitude exam as a prelude to joining the Air Force. Because we lived 2 hours North, we got there the night before and stayed over night. One guy had pancakes swimming in maple syrup for breakfast, tested as diabetic and got rejected. He repeated the test later and enlisted. I met the woman I married 2 weeks after and decided not to enlist, probably wise because Viet Nam was still going on and we're still married.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm 61. Diabetes runs in my family. I've never had it or been diagnosed with it. I don't drink pop, with the exception if I'm riding out to Pop's on Route 66 in Arcadia OK on one of my bikes, I'll get one 12 ounce bottle of birch beer while I'm there. All their soda has pure cane sugar, no HFCS. One of those and a bottle of water, then I'm back on the bike headed for who knows where. I rarely eat sweets. My main diet is a salad with some chicken in it, an apple and a banana, every day. That's my take to work diet. If I'm out, I go out and eat. I also do lots of push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups, every day, no excuses. So far, diabetes has stayed away from me.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive bascally just given up my pepsi and 1/2 loaf a day bread habit. Things seem to be fine.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to go back more than once for a medical problem and I told the doctor that, in my business, that's called a comeback, it's a source of shame, and I have to fix it at no charge. He didn't think it was funny and I didn't intend it to be. Doctors are like mechanics in that they aren't all the same and some are better than others. The difference is the doctor can screw up and the patient might still get better. If the patient doesn't understand what the doctor says, they still respect him. If they don't understand the mechanic, they often assume he's ripping them off.
In April of 1972, 3 friends and I spent a day in Manchester, NH going through an 8 hour physical and aptitude exam as a prelude to joining the Air Force. Because we lived 2 hours North, we got there the night before and stayed over night. One guy had pancakes swimming in maple syrup for breakfast, tested as diabetic and got rejected. He repeated the test later and enlisted. I met the woman I married 2 weeks after and decided not to enlist, probably wise because Viet Nam was still going on and we're still married.
I took that same test around the same time. I had messed around and layed out a year while working but went back the next to finish. My father had been Army Air Corp in WW2 and I went the Air Force to enlist. I actually wanted to know what they were going to do with me. After the physical and tests I got a letter saying I would be in electronics and all i knew then about electric was rolling up a ton of extention cords after work each day, so it wasn't very flattering, and that was just about the time computers really took off, and I was soon hooking them up instead on a drilling rig
They changed my draft number to 1A but before I graduated they had dropped the draft and were letting people go soon as they got stateside so I never signed up, and, of course, missed the electronics explosion

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive bascally just given up my pepsi and 1/2 loaf a day bread habit. Things seem to be fine.
A lot of folks don't understand, that bread isn't good for you, no matter the kind, Maybe Potato bread? That's the only kind I use anyway, and not much of it at that. My problem is my right kidney is prone to making stones. Not my left, just my right. Weird eh? Anyway, the couple ways to control them is keep your sodium percentage down low, drink a lot of fluid, of which most is water, and anything lemon or lime is GREAT for keeping them away. Last time I had to deal with them was 2016. Been fine since.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A lot of folks don't understand, that bread isn't good for you, no matter the kind, Maybe Potato bread? That's the only kind I use anyway, and not much of it at that. My problem is my right kidney is prone to making stones. Not my left, just my right. Weird eh? Anyway, the couple ways to control them is keep your sodium percentage down low, drink a lot of fluid, of which most is water, and anything lemon or lime is GREAT for keeping them, away. Last time I had to deal with them was 2016. Been fine since.
Yeah, ive found out bread is kind of an enemy. It was nothing for me to sit down and destroy a can of grands biscuits at dinner, or 1/2 loaf of holsum.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, ive found out bread is kind of an enemy. It was nothing for me to sit down and destroy a can of grands biscuits at dinner, or 1/2 loaf of holsum.
Been there, done that. It's tough. You do not realize till you have to cut back that almost all our social activities are centered around eating. So it's a little awkward when you are at get together dinner and can't eat half the stuff there. Sometimes you can be a little bit bad and break the rules, but you can't get carried away if your sugar is really bad.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't realize so many things we eat did so much harm myself. An uncle was telling me about all the things that actually turn to sugar in the stomach and I was floored on that

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The type of bread makes a difference too. In American culture everything is about white bread, which is bleached and highly processed and very easy for your body to convert to sugar. Don't forget that the normal hot dog and hamburger buns are just other forms of white bread, not to mention rolls and biscuits. You can add cake and shortbread cookies to that, as they're made with white flour.

Whole wheat and rye breads are better, but don't load up on any of them. I prefer the kind of "black bread" that is common to Eastern Europe.

I keep a loaf of whole wheat in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer, but only once in a while do I actually make a sandwich with it. It's there just in case. No hot dog or hamburger buns are around.

I pick on bread because it is usually eaten separately in some form, as opposed to being added to a cooked dish. Eating it separately makes it more "optional".

On the road it might be quickest to get a fast-food sandwich on white bread such as a hamburger bun. That's fine sometimes. Making a habit of it is the problem.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The type of bread makes a difference too. In American culture everything is about white bread, which is bleached and highly processed and very easy for your body to convert to sugar. Don't forget that the normal hot dog and hamburger buns are just other forms of white bread, not to mention rolls and biscuits. You can add cake and shortbread cookies to that, as they're made with white flour.

Whole wheat and rye breads are better, but don't load up on any of them. I prefer the kind of "black bread" that is common to Eastern Europe.

I keep a loaf of whole wheat in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer, but only once in a while do I actually make a sandwich with it. It's there just in case. No hot dog or hamburger buns are around.

I pick on bread because it is usually eaten separately in some form, as opposed to being added to a cooked dish. Eating it separately makes it more "optional".

On the road it might be quickest to get a fast-food sandwich on white bread such as a hamburger bun. That's fine sometimes. Making a habit of it is the problem.
Whole wheat has less carbs than white bread and rye has less carbs than whole wheat. Rye toast is my favorite for breakfast anyway.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Whole wheat has less carbs than white bread and rye has less carbs than whole wheat. Rye toast is my favorite for breakfast anyway.
Of course rye is good for you, it tastes horrible! All the stuff good for you tastes horrible!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals