• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can you be misdiagnosed with Diabetes?

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Damn, here I was thinking that the covid vaccine gave me Diabetes. Reading this is making me think it might have been a Ranger that did it.

Was diagnosed a month or so after getting a "mandatory" Covid vaccine for work. Seemed like a good thing to blame it on to me. Was officially diagnosed the week after Thanksgiving in 2021. The week before Thanksgiving my optometrist encouraged that I get checked immediately after seeing something in my eyes. Went the next day and surprise, blood sugar of 362. The A1C taken 2 weeks later (coonest I could get an appointment anywhere) was 12.5. Like manyt here I didn't know I ahd a problem and the doctors were shocked.

The doctor put me on metformin with the A1C test results and it was brought down to and stayed around 6.7 since. Now on Synjarday, still fairly stable on A1C. I don't check BS daily because there's not much I can do about it at this point and I got tired of poking holes in my finger for nothing. Was doing good with droping weight and had gotten down to a comfortable 175-180 lbs around this time last year. Got a new job in 2022 and am more stationary, it has let my weight creep back up to the 200 mark. Need to find a way to work in some more activity during the day.

Turns out the BS was affecting me more that I realized. What the optometrist saw that prompted the sugestion was microaneurysms in my eyes caused by diabetes. Apparently I was suffering from Diabetic Macular Edema which caused swelling in the retins and was messing with my vision. It caused straight lines to be wavy and blurry spots, but seems like it came on gradually enough that I learned to compensate for it without noticing. I've had to get injections in both eyes approximately every 8 weeks for about 1.5 years now. Unfortunately no end in sight at this time, but still managed to retain 20/20 corrected vision (worn glasses since 3rd grade) for almost the entire time.
Guess I’ll just have to go blind. NO WAY IM GETTING SHOTS IN MY EYES every two months. Haven’t had health insurance since my twenties.
Why pay for something you never use.
Funny thought.. back in the old gangster days of America, people was arrested for forcing others to pay for insurance 🤔🤣

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Damn, here I was thinking that the covid vaccine gave me Diabetes. Reading this is making me think it might have been a Ranger that did it.

Was diagnosed a month or so after getting a "mandatory" Covid vaccine for work. Seemed like a good thing to blame it on to me. Was officially diagnosed the week after Thanksgiving in 2021. The week before Thanksgiving my optometrist encouraged that I get checked immediately after seeing something in my eyes. Went the next day and surprise, blood sugar of 362. The A1C taken 2 weeks later (coonest I could get an appointment anywhere) was 12.5. Like manyt here I didn't know I ahd a problem and the doctors were shocked.

The doctor put me on metformin with the A1C test results and it was brought down to and stayed around 6.7 since. Now on Synjarday, still fairly stable on A1C. I don't check BS daily because there's not much I can do about it at this point and I got tired of poking holes in my finger for nothing. Was doing good with droping weight and had gotten down to a comfortable 175-180 lbs around this time last year. Got a new job in 2022 and am more stationary, it has let my weight creep back up to the 200 mark. Need to find a way to work in some more activity during the day.

Turns out the BS was affecting me more that I realized. What the optometrist saw that prompted the sugestion was microaneurysms in my eyes caused by diabetes. Apparently I was suffering from Diabetic Macular Edema which caused swelling in the retins and was messing with my vision. It caused straight lines to be wavy and blurry spots, but seems like it came on gradually enough that I learned to compensate for it without noticing. I've had to get injections in both eyes approximately every 8 weeks for about 1.5 years now. Unfortunately no end in sight at this time, but still managed to retain 20/20 corrected vision (worn glasses since 3rd grade) for almost the entire time.
Diabetes is weird. Seems to affect people in alot of different ways. Thats why i had trouble believing i had it.

I was losing weight though...which was strange given how i was eating. I was down to 250 at diagnosis. Im built like a brick shithouse and being 6'1 my weight always hovered around 280-285. Im back to 270-275 now. I believe most of what i lost before the metformin was muscle though. i didnt realize untill i got things corrected how much strength i had lost.

Now if i could just get my lazy ass up and back on a weight bench lol

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Guess I’ll just have to go blind. NO WAY IM GETTING SHOTS IN MY EYES every two months.
That's what you think, but when the only other choice is literally going blind, you'd probably change your mind. It's either get treatment or gradually go blind. The later it gets caught or treated the worse the chances for recovery.

I can't deny there are times I question the decision to get treatment. Maybe it would be better if I couldn't see the shit going on in the world today. Then I think of everything I'd miss.

Yes, the idea of it is terrible, but think of all the people that are blind without a choice. Don't you think they'd live with a little discomfort every few months if it meant they could see?

Hopefully we'll beat back the inflammation in the retina soon and they can start spacing the treatments out further. I'll probably have to get the for the rest of my life, but might be able to drop back to annually eventually.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Missed this.

Yes. You can be misdiagnosed.

And you can be intentionally misdiagnosed at that.

I have never been able to drink energy drinks. There was the original rock stars that I could tolerate without getting gut bombed and vomiting. What I didn't know was 1/2 a can of that and my sugar was 400s...

High fructose corn syrup is about as evil as putting corn in gasoline....then there is all of the " ine's " in energy drinks.

Metformin....can be a tool. But if you eat real food ...and get yourself working...again.. You won't need it. Once your eating real food and your body is human again.... it's going to hurt you.

Any supplements will hurt you if you are balanced. Staying balanced as we age on the other hand...is the trick. A cruel one for most. It is a trick because you monitor it with the same people that have to poison you to pay for their 400k education. We are all different and all the same.

Things like actual diabetes and high blood pressure suck. For sure there is a genetic component for it.....Mine has always been high. But I have always been injured since 21.. So....shorter life generally. It is very difficult to eat correctly..in my line of work. Exercise isn't a problem. The 100 hour work weeks see to that. So going to a gym when in the field is not needed. Finding the right food is near impossible though. I am learning though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A large portion of what I do for work involves people with vision loss... the usual stuff like glaucoma, macular degeneration, genetic conditions, injuries, etc but probably 30-40% of people I see got where they are because of uncontrolled diabetes. I can think of two people in the last year that are not even 40 yet and are totally blind - cannot see anything, even light - and have had limbs amputated. Serious stuff.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
A large portion of what I do for work involves people with vision loss... the usual stuff like glaucoma, macular degeneration, genetic conditions, injuries, etc but probably 30-40% of people I see got where they are because of uncontrolled diabetes. I can think of two people in the last year that are not even 40 yet and are totally blind - cannot see anything, even light - and have had limbs amputated. Serious stuff.
Yea I lost a buddy a few years back. He had it bad his whole life. Lost limbs , then we lost him too

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Yup. And generally ....on shit food and fix you up chemistry.... The shit food is key. Maybe convenience food is a better way to put it. I eat this shit food out of convenience...and poison my dumb self....you can get away with it if you have a physical job to your 40s...

I....would be one of those people you are referring to.

But I am not....

only because I refused to follow immediate protocol. As it just didn't make sense. To the extent my insurance company threatened me due to ama.....I was unable to get life insurance for 5 years due to botched...maybe even intentionally botched paperwork. The 5 years that mattered the most by the way. Took me a minute to figure it out.....

Now. Think about this....even you estimate your job is 30 percent supported by this folly of modern American society..

So...there is that...it is real.

Just....That.... is reason for status quo. One small little node of indirect correlation as a highlight..money money money.....buyer be weary.

If I would have succumbed to fear....and the easy button because I was worried about my CDL.....and followed medical advice....I would be a fat bloated miserable POS right now just in grasp of CDL retention. Against medical advice.....I ate real salad...baby spinach....romaine....snap peas...tuna or chicken or beef..and real bread and water for two weeks. everything was fine. Total coincidence I am sure. But I can contrast that to several others I know directly in the same boat ..

..not long after that I was disabled...old injury..very serious..and math and gravity caught up to me.....and with heavy advise from those in wheelchairs with same/similar injuries, I further refused to let them hack on me. I had no idea if I was doing the right thing or not....but I was looking at the actuals and averages....not what they were selling.

thinking about that.

Most likely I would have been in the ground after 10 final years of misery gobbling down pain pills...listening to those with only the best of intentions to get me in a better state of operation.

I work with people from all over the world ..... Our ....the majority population of the US....fat pampered asses stand out significantly to most of the world....even our Asians and Ethiopians are getting fat...

One simple component to that...what we eat .

So I will likely have to rely on some chemicals to keep my blood pressure to some reliable level until I can change my life enough to allow for real food.

Targeted specific stretch/excercise has me operating at a level the best neurosurgeons in this country guaranteed me was impossible without work 12 years ago ....it's not a miracle...i was merely ignorant. they are either just full of shit because yacht payments depend on it or just don't have the time or desire to look at the rest of the world medicines.....

For all of the technology and computer integration and things to keep mistakes at bay...in this century ...a few years more people died from seeking help than from heart disease.

That is math. You have to pay attention. And they don't like people that pay attention.

I consider that malice . Buyer beware indeed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals