• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Can I switch out a 2.9 for a 2.3

ropinwillie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My 89 2.9 v6 auto trans blew up tonight and I was wondering if I can put a 87 2.3L 4 cylinder without any problems or what do I need to change to get this done thanks in advance

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What blew up? The engine or the trans?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not an easy swap
The V6 is wide so can be mounted on the frame rails, the 4cylinder isn't as wide so needs drivers side motor mount on a cross brace that runs from frame rail to frame rail

The engine computer and wiring harness needs to be swapped

Won't be plug and play you will need to splice some wires which you will have to ID yourself since this wouldn't be a common swap

If the 1987 2.3l is also an automatic it has the same A4LD transmission as the 1989 2.9l, so you could swap bellhousings, its not easy but certainly easier and better than swapping engines

If its a manual then that adds another layer of complications, lol
But 1987 manual has removable/swappable bellhousing, so....................

Last edited:

ropinwillie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not an easy swap
The V6 is wide so can be mounted on the frame rails, the 4cylinder isn't as wide so needs drivers side motor mount on a cross brace that runs from frame rail to frame rail

The engine computer and wiring harness needs to be swapped

Won't be plug and play you will need to splice some wires which you will have to ID yourself since this wouldn't be a common swap

If the 1987 2.3l is also an automatic it has the same A4LD transmission as the 1989 2.9l, so you could swap bellhousings, its not easy but certainly easier and better than swapping engines

If its a manual then that adds another layer of complications, lol
But 1987 manual has removable/swappable bellhousing, so....................
RonD I have a doner truck so it should have all that correct?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK. Personally... if I was you... I would find a donor Ranger or Explorer, 89-94, with a 4.0 and swap that in. Why? It'll bolt up to your transmission and the wiring changes are minimal. Or just replace the 2.9.

Why not use the 2.3?

Bellhousing, torque converter, flywheel and starter are all different
Your 87 wiring will be very difficult to graft onto an '89 truck
Motor mounts are much different, radiator is different
You could find an 89 up 4 cylinder harness but it won't work with the '87 engine

Personally I think swapping the 2.3 in is a huge waste of time unless you have a lot of free time on your hands and access to a substantial supply of parts. A 4.0 swap is just a lot easier and your truck is an ideal candidate for it, or just replace the 2.9.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
OK. Personally... if I was you... I would find a donor Ranger or Explorer, 89-94, with a 4.0 and swap that in. Why? It'll bolt up to your transmission and the wiring changes are minimal.
I have been on this board a little less than a year now, but I am not getting the impression that the wiring from a 2.9 to a 4.0 is that simple. Going by the many posts and questions about it. And it seems there is not one "this is the way to do it" because it depends on what year 4.0 you get. Most people hate wiring, and it seems that is what that swap is all about. The engine install must be easy.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
They may have been 'leasing' (for lack of a better term) the software to Ford, instead of Ford buying it outright. Just a guess but see stuff like that all the time in my job.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have been on this board a little less than a year now, but I am not getting the impression that the wiring from a 2.9 to a 4.0 is that simple.
A 4.0 swap is quite easy. Get the ford evtm for both vehicles and youll be set. 4.0 swap on my 90 bronco ii was only 6 or 7 wires.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have been on this board a little less than a year now, but I am not getting the impression that the wiring from a 2.9 to a 4.0 is that simple. Going by the many posts and questions about it. And it seems there is not one "this is the way to do it" because it depends on what year 4.0 you get. Most people hate wiring, and it seems that is what that swap is all about. The engine install must be easy.
So second gen trucks are kind of a unique thing because you could get a 4.0 from the factory... so a 4.0 swap can be almost a direct plug and play thing with the right donor truck, or very close to it.

First gen trucks are much more complex and that's where most of the 4.0 swaps happen, and it's also why people say they are not easy...because they're not... there is a lot more wire splicing and stuff. The 2.3 swap idea that has been proposed is pretty complex simply because there are so many things that need to be changed. I would be more supportive of the idea if the 2.3 donor was 89 or newer.

There's not really an accurate "how to" because of the variations in recipient and donor trucks. For example a 94 Explorer donor going into an '83 Bronco II is going to be completely different than a 91 Ranger donor going into an '89 Ranger and a '99 Ranger going into a '90 Ranger will be different than either of the first two... no two swaps are the same. Ranger into Ranger is the easiest and most straightforward and 89-94 trucks are the easiest to work with IMO.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There are so many questions on 4.0 swaps as far as the wiring, you guys should start a thread to archive this knowledge. What years the swap was , and what wires had to be spliced, cut or added. It would be a nice update to the tech forum. There is one article in there and it's a little hard to follow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think a thread like that would be possible because everyone's truck can be different.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A.2.3 beats a 2.9 in every aspect.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a feeling that it's going to be less and less relevant in the near future regardless. I have a giant stash of parts, enough to do several 4.0 swaps assuming I had engines on hand but the supply of good stuff is dwindling, and it's happening fast. The big local junkyards don't have much of anything from the 90's even, the smaller yards are just now starting to crush all their older stuff too.

If I had no parts stash and a nice truck that needed an engine, I'd really be looking at a reman long block or something else entirely... Ecoboost/ecotech swap, LS swap, even a GM 4.3 would be pretty easy.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a feeling that it's going to be less and less relevant in the near future regardless. I have a giant stash of parts, enough to do several 4.0 swaps assuming I had engines on hand but the supply of good stuff is dwindling, and it's happening fast. The big local junkyards don't have much of anything from the 90's even, the smaller yards are just now starting to crush all their older stuff too.

If I had no parts stash and a nice truck that needed an engine, I'd really be looking at a reman long block or something else entirely... Ecoboost/ecotech swap, LS swap, even a GM 4.3 would be pretty easy.
Hopefully the aftermarket fuel injection systems get more popular, and thus less expensive. That would be a good way to get a late model engine in one of these trucks and skip all the factory computer mess and black boxes. The aftermarket efi has made the LS swaps even more popular. I wish someone would come out with one of those systems for a v6. Plug and play and self tune and all that good stuff like the LS engines have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals