• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I swap transfer cases

Ranger691

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, this is my first thread. I have been browsing therangerstation for a while and it is a VERY helpful site. But I have a pretty simple question I cannot find the answer to. I have a 2002 ranger XLT 4x4, my transfer case is making a terrible grinding noise even in 2wd around 30 mph and up. In the cab it sounds like a humming/vibrating sound. When I turn to the left while driving it goes away. The reason I know the transfer case is making the sound is because I put it on a lift, put it in gear and got it up to speed. I found a 99 ranger 4.0 4wd that I can take the transfer case off of to do a swap. Are they the same? The numbers are different seeing as mine is 1L547A195cc and the 99 is F87A195AA. what is the difference in the numbers?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
welcome

i would do some further diagnosing first

Ranger691

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's not the wheel bearings, seeing as I just replaced the drivers side and the passenger side is still kindof new. It's not the front diff because when we put it on the lift and got it up to speed it was not making any noise in 4 wheel high. Any tips on further diagnosing? Thanks for the quick reply!

maroon ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4.0L proje
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure its not a CV joint? Preferable drivers side CV since the noise goes away when ya turn left. Just throwin that out there, my passenger side CV made a humming noise when I got up to speed bout would lessen when I was turning right. If not that then how's the fluid level in your transfer case? Might wanna give that a look see.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know it's not the wheel bearings, seeing as I just replaced the drivers side and the passenger side is still kindof new. It's not the front diff because when we put it on the lift and got it up to speed it was not making any noise in 4 wheel high. Any tips on further diagnosing? Thanks for the quick reply!
take the wheel off and double check your work....just to be sure. not saying you dont know what you're doing, but sometimes people have brain farts.

like the other guys said, check the cv joint, those things wear out eventually. i didnt recomend the tcase fluid level b/c i assumed that was probably the first thing you did. but check that. it could need to be changed.

the tcase is stationary, if the noise goes away when you turn a certain direction, it sounds to me like it's something up front.

Ranger691

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wheel bearing was replaced by a shop, the diffs and transfercase was serviced at the same time. What would I be checking for on the cv? Wear on the end of the shaft where it goes into the hub assembly?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, the boot cracks and then dirt and shit gets in there, and eats everything up

Ranger691

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The transfer case is still making alot of noise and I can get one from a ranger that had 37k when it was totaled. And the guy will let it go for $100.Will it work?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
they should both be 1354's, so yeah

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals