• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I safely tow a Ranger with a Ranger?

Harv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I am looking into getting a parts truck for my Ranger however in the area I am in (Louisiana) I cannot find any decently priced parts truck. I looked in my parents area (Ohio) just for the hell of it and found a couple ones that I have my eye on, sure they have more rust but that doesn't bother me. And I got the idea when I go visit for Christmas, to rent a U-Haul car trailer and tow back the parts truck with my Ford Ranger and I just want to know if this will be even possible in a safely manner. I tried to look up the towing capacity and other forums, but I get a lot of mixed answers that I just get confused.

My ranger is a 2005 4.0l V6 SOHC 4x4 5-speed 4:10 gears extended cab. If she can manage it I was planning on taking it to a dealership so they can add electric brake hookup before even looking at a parts truck.

Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Unfortunately with the manual trans you'd be way beyond the rated towing capacity. With a truck and trailer your looking at near or at 5,000 pounds. Only the automatics can tow that much.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can tow it.
But...........it wouldn't be legal to tow it and I doubt u-haul would rent you a car hauler, maybe a car dolly

Look here, bottom of page 18: https://www.fleet.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2005_Towing_Guide.pdf

2005 Ranger 4.0l, manual trans/4.10 is rated at 3,100lbs(automatic trans is 5,500lbs)
A Ranger weighs 3,100-3,400 depending on model, add the trailers weight and it won't be legal

Go to u-haul website and check, enter your trucks data and it will give you a list of allowed trailers, they go by the legal limits

Also look at car transporters, as long as a vehicle rolls, so it can be winched on to the trailer, a transport company will haul it
Check their prices vs hauling it yourself
If you don't have a time frame, i.e. must be delivered within a week, lol, they will cut a better deal because they can use it to fill out a load going in the same direction

Remember to include gas cost, one-way trailer rental, and your time and wear and tear on your Ranger

And just an FYI, automatics are much stronger than manual transmissions, which is why they have the higher towing weight
It has NOTHING to do with a driver's skill level, lol, I still get a kick when reading that its driver related

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive used a 2 -wheel dolly a couple of times. just pull the drive shaft of the towed vehicle. Your biggest issue is getting u-haul to rent you something pulled by a ranger.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There's a reason for that...
Yeah... Laywers.
The same reason they won't allow you to rent anything if you say Explorer.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Right! Same BS when I applied to be chief neurosurgeon at Robert Wood Johnson university hospital... All they cared about was "laws", "credentials", and "calling security".

Lawyers ruin everything. Without them I could be performing brain surgery and that guy could he towing his ranger home!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Right! Same BS when I applied to be chief neurosurgeon at Robert Wood Johnson university hospital... All they cared about was "laws", "credentials", and "calling security".

Lawyers ruin everything. Without them I could be performing brain surgery and that guy could he towing his ranger home!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

The only reason the manual trucks are rated so low is because ford didnt want to replace clutches under warrenty when less then able drivers tried to tow heavy.

Think about it, engine power, suspension, brakes etc are the same between auto and manual trucks....so what would the reason be?

As for the OP....are you looking at a parts truck similar to yours or do you have another ranger you need parts for? A 4wd 04 club cab is alot heavier then say, a 86 shortbox 2wd.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Think about it, engine power, suspension, brakes etc are the same between auto and manual trucks....so what would the reason be?
Manual transmissions aren't as strong as automatics no matter how you drive it. Towing 5k with a ranger auto is gonna burn up the fluid faster than burning up a clutch unless you add an aux cooler and ford never bothered to do that so they obviously weren't thinking about warranty issues in either case.

Torque converters literally create more torque and the gears of an automatic are physically bigger and stronger than the manual.

The towing capacity difference between the two is not small... it's over 2,000 pounds. And it's the same for pretty much any truck not just rangers. You wanna tow you buy an automatic, you want better mileage you buy a manual.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Manual transmissions aren't as strong as automatics no matter how you drive it. Towing 5k with a ranger auto is gonna burn up the fluid faster than burning up a clutch unless you add an aux cooler and ford never bothered to do that so they obviously weren't thinking about warranty issues in either case.

Torque converters literally create more torque and the gears of an automatic are physically bigger and stronger than the manual.
I know about the tq converter. But i disagree about an auto being stronger for towing. Its more idiot proof, not stronger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know about the tq converter. But i disagree about an auto being stronger for towing. Its more idiot proof, not stronger.

Do you see the difference in surface area in the transfer of that torque through the gear teeth in this picture: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/auQgOtveQi0/maxresdefault.jpg

Manuals are great for MPG and much simpler, but just don't have even close to the strength of an automatic
You can design a manual trans for better strength, wider gears and bigger shafts, i.e. semi trucks, but costs alot more

Nothing to do with clutches, its just the physics and the slide rule's that determine Fords towing limits, and they are lower than what it "can" tow, even for automatics, because not all transmission parts are created equal, lol

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Lets everybody play nice !!!
:icon_cheers:
Grumpaw

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yup... look at the inside of this torque converter.

That looks strong to me!! :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals