• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I make money fixing rangers to resell?

ayr423956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is my situation and question. I'm 16 and I've started school for automotive technician. I'm looking at rangers for sale on craigslist that need misc. repairs. The prices I'm looking at are $500 - $1000. I know that repair costs will vary according to the problem, but can I make money buying and fixing these trucks for resale. Has anyone done this or have any advise they would care to share.

:icon_confused:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ive bought/fixed/sold a few and made some cash but thats usually only when i can get it for scrap price. if you're confident in knowing what the truck needs, what it's gonna cost and what it's gonna sell for when you're done, it can definitely be worth it.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
You can do that with any vehicle if you shop smartly. When you find one you would like to fix up find one in similar shape that has nothing wrong with it, compare prices and see if the repairs are worth it.

I make money on almost every car I buy, the only thing I have ever lost money on was on a car I had someone else buy and inspect for me (lost right at $850, only got $150 for the car when I sold it, never even drove it).

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i bought my first b2300 for 1500, and only did wheels/tires, exhaust, sterieo, etc and sold it for 4k. then i bought an 03 explorer sport 2wd w/ 65k on it for 4250, put a new battery in, and sold it for 6500. you can definately make good money if you know what youre doing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
But can you make a living at doing so? maybe once you get rolling but the startup costs and then waiting to sell might drive you to a regular job. It would definitely be worthwhile as a learning tool.
Good luck at school, I'm going back after 25+ years in construction. My knees are shot.

Richard

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
FYI, you need a dealer license if you plan on selling more than 4 vehicles per year in most states.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it is more than 4 in arkansas, but he is correct you will become a dealer and will need to be licensed as one which is expensive to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals