• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I install a block heater?

4X4XFD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi. I have a 2002 FX4 with 4.0 V6, auto. Have recently discovered a minor coolant leak. Appears to be just below the head on pass side. Don't know if it's something with the head gasket or the freeze plug I see just a little below the head, toward the front of the engine.
I had a 1999 XLT 3.0 which had what I believe was a factory block heater. Seems like it had a Twin Cities sticker on the rear window so maybe that's how it had a factory block heater.
If my '02 Ranger needs to have that freeze plug replaced I'm wondering if that location would be good to install a block heater. Or does anyone know where a factory one would be installed.
I miss having one since the truck stays outside (no garage). It can get 0 to -15 degrees on occasion here in SW Mo. Also any block heater brand and part number would be helpful. I've searched the site but didn't find much info...especially for a '02 4.0.

Thanks

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Might be easier to go aftermarket. I believe you can get heaters that fit in freeze plugs and also some that wrap around the oil pan or something like that. If you have a lot of extreme cold, It could also be wise to install a battery heater blanket to keep your battery warm.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is also a style that heats the coolant and circulates the coolant through the bock.

4X4XFD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm thinking of getting the freeze plug type. NAPA says a KAT 11458 is suppose to fit.
I don't know which freeze plug location to use.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any core plug(freeze plug) on the side of the block will work, the "best one" is the one you can get to the easiest :)

But if you are replacing a core plug then that's the best location

Heater warms coolant and that causes it to rise above cooler coolant so there is some minor circulation in the block and heads spreading out a bit of heat
On cold start water pump circulates warmed coolant instantly through out the engine
So there is not a "better" core plug location, any will produce same results

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Hi. I have a 2002 FX4 with 4.0 V6, auto. Have recently discovered a minor coolant leak. Appears to be just below the head on pass side. Don't know if it's something with the head gasket or the freeze plug I see just a little below the head, toward the front of the engine.
I had a 1999 XLT 3.0 which had what I believe was a factory block heater. Seems like it had a Twin Cities sticker on the rear window so maybe that's how it had a factory block heater.
If my '02 Ranger needs to have that freeze plug replaced I'm wondering if that location would be good to install a block heater. Or does anyone know where a factory one would be installed.
I miss having one since the truck stays outside (no garage). It can get 0 to -15 degrees on occasion here in SW Mo. Also any block heater brand and part number would be helpful. I've searched the site but didn't find much info...especially for a '02 4.0.

Thanks
They are about $50 at NAPA. I installed mine on passenger side of block. You can get to it by removing the wheel and fender skirt, Not to bad of a job. I can send you a pic of location if you want. Cheers from Saskatchewan.

Attachments

4X4XFD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update. Currently, NAPA doesn't have the KAT block heater available. Come to find out the mfr KAT doesn't have any. So I went with the ZeroStart brand from O'Reilly. PN 3100039 for $49.
I've done my share of shade tree mechanic but I'm short on time nowadays and autos aren't as simple as they used to be. I took the truck to a local shop I trust to find the coolant leak.. Turned out that was the right decision. They did a leak test and found the thermostat housing was the problem. They replaced the entire thermostat housing assy. Guess composites can give out after 20 years. The leak caused one of the bolts to freeze and it broke off in the block when they tried to remove it. In this case the best decision for me was for someone with the experience and tools to do the job and not me. They replaced the entire thermo housing assy, by-pass hose and another hose connected to the housing.
They also installed the block heater I'd purchased. The proper position in the 4.0L for a block heater is the right front freeze plug location. All went well but they commented that given the 6 o'clock element position required it put the cord up where it is close to the exhaust manifold. They did what they could to alleviate the situation but I will reconsider redoing the cord using some high temp alum coated glass fiber tape I have. All in all, I'm pleased with the outcome and the truck is in better shape than before....tho not cheap with the added labor needed. I really like having the block heater option now for those cold nights.
Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals