• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can a auto speed control stop truck from cranking? I have a 2.0 1988 ranger

Rizzo1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm not up on the 2.0. Is it a mechanical fuel pump? If so they only run like 5psi I think and it's a diaphragm that can deteriorate. If it sat with gas in it (especially e10) it can eat through the diaphragm. I've replaced a ton of mechanical pumps on my mustang because of ethanol. So yes... it could be dead from sitting.

Modern ethanol fuel destroys old carb systems. Eats the gaskets, seals, rubber, diaphragms etc. Its like pouring acid into them... leave that crap sit, and nothing will work. Not opinion, fact.
Tenfo.. thank you for replying. I know these things get aggravating but I sure love my old ranger.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What about your filter?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A couple things come to mind. The poppet valves in the fuel pump could get stuck with fuel turning to mush for a couple years. Some fuel will turn to a granular 'puddling' and make the valves fail to function.
The pickup 'sock' in the tank could also get clogged with rust and deteriorated fuel.
Get a lawnmower fuel tank and connect it to the fuel line inlet on the carb. Raise it above carb level, and attach/support. Fill as desired with fresh fuel. Attempt to start. If the problem is lack of fuel, it should start and run fine.
Depending, you may be able to disassemble the fuel pump and clean things up. Some have 'swaged' metal that holds things together, and you cannot do anything but replace those. Older pumps had screws and replaceable diaphragms & valves. Guess what you'll likely find...
If you think the tank is gunked, you can remove the Torx bolts holding the bed, and raise the front of the bed for access to the pump. Disconnect the fuel filler neck where it is attached next to the gas cap. It will be ok flopping around as you raise the bed.
Support the bed with some 2X4's or some logs, etc, do NOT go under the bed until it is safely supported. I use large pliers(waterpump) to loosen the ring that hold the pump and sender. Squeeze the tangs together too loosen, reverse direction to re-install.
If the sock is jammed with crud, cleaning the tank my be the only answer, or you could pull the sock, and install filters and/or sediment bowls/etc in the fuel line. Easier to change a filter than keep raising the tank to clean.
tom

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"I use large pliers(waterpump) to loosen the ring that hold the pump and sender. Squeeze the tangs together too loosen, reverse direction to re-install"

I wish I had known this 10 years ago
It makes so much sense compared to the hammer and blunt chisel I was using.

Rizzo1130

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What about your filter?
I haven't had a chance to check filter. Been hectic around here. I definitely will tho . Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals