• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can a 4.6 fit in a 1987 ramger

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sending anyone anywhere. I'm saying do what he wants to do and to not let negative Nancy's stop him. He can do his own research of whether or not he wants to attempt the swap. A guy put a twin turbo 7.3 Powerstroke into a Ranger that he also turned into a dually, so anything CAN be done. I don't know how much $$ OP has or his skill level. Do you?
No offense intended to the op but a mod motor swap in any gen is approaching the "if you gotta ask..." level of engine swappage.

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Anything is possible ...

When that comparison picture is examined .... WHY would anyone want the head ache of attempting to swap that massive block into the small space? All i see are problems everywhere.

cheers

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anything is possible ...

When that comparison picture is examined .... WHY would anyone want the head ache of attempting to swap that massive block into the small space? All i see are problems everywhere.

cheers
Cheap (in the land of pullout coyotes who wants a 4.6?) and they can make good power.

To be fair that is a DOHC one pictured, a SOHC wouldnt be quite as bad. Still wider than a 460 though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
OP bailed on this thread after his 2nd post, lol

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
you guy's aren't wrong its not the best choice but i did it in a 91 extended cab i used a 03 crown vic drive train its still a work in progress got it to run i have a video of it running its not pretty no exhaust manifolds but it fits not bad even clears the hood. i used e250 motor mounts and spaced them up to clear the gear box with 2x3 steel on drivers side a 1x2 on passenger side if I knew how to post pic's and video I would put them here.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
you guy's aren't wrong its not the best choice but i did it in a 91 extended cab i used a 03 crown vic drive train its still a work in progress got it to run i have a video of it running its not pretty no exhaust manifolds but it fits not bad even clears the hood. i used e250 motor mounts and spaced them up to clear the gear box with 2x3 steel on drivers side a 1x2 on passenger side if I knew how to post pic's and video I would put them here.
Great work! Please post pictures and video if you can figure that out (or start a thread with your questions if you can't). Thanks!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sigh...

If you know something about the topic, then by all means - contribute.

If you're jumping in to send someone down a very expensive and painful rabbit hole, consider the implications of giving bad advice.

This is a 4.6 next to a 302. This is the primary reason it's a bad swap candidate.
View attachment 80516

Seeing is believing, but, I already knew since I still work on 4.6L and 5.4L trucks from time to time :)

This picture reminds me, I have to put real wheels on my Harbor Freight engine stand before I use it again. I tried moving it with a marine Chrysler 318 on it and ended up having to use my engine hoist to move it instead. Horrible metal wheels with no bearings on that thing.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Seeing is believing, but, I already knew since I still work on 4.6L and 5.4L trucks from time to time :)

This picture reminds me, I have to put real wheels on my Harbor Freight engine stand before I use it again. I tried moving it with a marine Chrysler 318 on it and ended up having to use my engine hoist to move it instead. Horrible metal wheels with no bearings on that thing.
Sounds about right re the hoist. I used a HF hoist the first few times. Thankfully last summer when I put the engine back in, a friend with a giant gantry crane rig loaned me his shop to use. So much easier that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals