• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can’t figure out my fuel guage

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My truck has a brand new in tank sending unit but my fuel guage doesn’t really work…some times I’ll start it up and BOOM it jumps right up but after about 3 minutes it has slowly made its way back down to empty. Not times it just downst move. I’ve checked connections and fuses but I am coming up stumped. Any input on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Have you checked the wire harness at the plug for the cluster, or check for damage/corrosion in the cluster it's self.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is an anti-slosh module on the back of the instrument cluster, and you can test the sender OHMs when cluster is out

1989 sender should have these OHMs
16 ohms empty
160 ohms full

Sender wire at cluster will be the only yellow wire with white stripe on a connector

Hook up OHM meter to yellow wire and Cab ground
Should read between 16 and 160 ohms
Rock the truck, so gas sloshes around in the tank and ohms should change as float goes up and down
If you see that then sender and wire to dash are OK

Anti-slosh module is there to prevent just what you saw, OHMs going up and down every time you go around a corner, lol
It between the Yellow wire and the gauge, it averages the ohms over time, so no abrupt changes in the needle
Your symptom of the needle changing after a few minutes does read like a failing module

Google: 1989 Ford Ranger anti-slosh module

There will be videos and how-tos to repair, replace or bypass this unit

Get some dash bulbs, good to replace all 6 while dash is out, they are not expensive

Last edited:

OldMan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
There is an anti-slosh module on the back of the instrument cluster, and you can test the sender OHMs when cluster is out

1989 sender should have these OHMs
16 ohms empty
160 ohms full

Sender wire at cluster will be the only yellow wire with white stripe on a connector

Hook up OHM meter to yellow wire and Cab ground
Should read between 16 and 160 ohms
Rock the truck, so gas sloshes around in the tank and ohms should change as float goes up and down
If you see that then sender and wire to dash are OK

Anti-slosh module is there to prevent just what you saw, OHMs going up and down every time you go around a corner, lol
It between the Yellow wire and the gauge, it averages the ohms over time, so no abrupt changes in the needle
Your symptom of the needle changing after a few minutes does read like a failing module

Google: 1989 Ford Ranger anti-slosh module

There will be videos and how-tos to repair, replace or bypass this unit

Get some dash bulbs, good to replace all 6 while dash is out, they are not expensive
Thank you so much! I appreciate you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals