• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Syncro Position and TDCC

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am sure the O-ring is nothing special
Probably not, just an off the shelf size. My problem is getting the correct size without taking the syncro off again, and possibly damaging the o-ring. Should have measured the one on the replacement. The o-ring on the Standard Auto looked like nitrile (reddish color), while the Ford looked buna-n. Nitrile is a better material.

On further thought I decided the new syncro did not fit not due to the o-ring, but to the machining burr at the bottom of the reamed hex for the oil shaft. It just came to a dead stop with no give. When I looked at it it looked to be far enough down so that it would not interfere.

By the way, my idle did not improve despite the better accuracy of positioning the syncro.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the idle problems I have seen, in the end have been due to fuel issues, leaking / sticking injectors etc. They may not have a problem as demand increases. Ignition issues will always show up under a load and maybe at idle.

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The idle's just a bit lumpy but my comparison is a 4 cyl'd Camry and 6 cyl'd Montero - both OHC. The Camry has a balance shaft as well. Maybe it's just the nature of a pushrod engine.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just an updated post of my syncro problems.

Continued squeak/chirp is still hard to determine if idler pulley or syncro as it's intermittent . This week though on startup a couple of times, and with squeaking/chirping, the engine idled very rough and died. Restart OK but I decided to have another look at the cam sensor. It seemed OK but I noticed small plastic shavings inside the housing. It appears the metal "flag" has been acting as a lathe tool and trimming the sensor - just a little. No detectible play in the shaft, but for safety I ordered another syncro with sensor and an idler pulley because it's so cheap and shipping with syncro is the same.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ordered another Standard Motor Products syncro from RockAuto. The first was of such poor quality I returned it. This second unit had the same faults as the first - poorly reamed drive shaft hole that would not allow proper installation and metal chips in the bottom of the reamed hole.

I can't believe how badly this was and that their quality control is this lax. I finally ordered the Motorcraft one at twice the price and w/o the sensor and alignment tool.

Only advice I can give now is either don't order Standard Motor parts or inspect them very carefully before installation. This part was made in the Taiwan plant so maybe that is the only problem.

Huzzunga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank goodness for this thread and that picture!!! I had the wife “just bump” the ignition so I could put the trigger in the window and use the alignment tool that came with the new cam synch.
I didn’t disconnect anything as the coil lead looks a bit fragile. Of course on the second bump the truck started. We immediately shut it down, and mechanically nothing had moved. But I decided to do #1 TDC. Of all the pictures, posts, and other useless information, this thread showed me where the mark was.
Running again, no leaking. I bought a new, not re-manufactured cam synch for under $40 at Auto Zone.
As long as it doesn’t leak up through the dust cap like the other one did, I’m happy
Jeff

nobb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ordered another Standard Motor Products syncro from RockAuto. The first was of such poor quality I returned it. This second unit had the same faults as the first - poorly reamed drive shaft hole that would not allow proper installation and metal chips in the bottom of the reamed hole.

I can't believe how badly this was and that their quality control is this lax. I finally ordered the Motorcraft one at twice the price and w/o the sensor and alignment tool.

Only advice I can give now is either don't order Standard Motor parts or inspect them very carefully before installation. This part was made in the Taiwan plant so maybe that is the only problem.
Sorry to bump and old thread, just wondering if you could clarify what you mean by "poorly reamed drive shaft hole" and what to look for? I installed a Spectra Premium FD32 synchronizer and holy heck I had the worst time trying to remove this for servicing. At first I thought it was a bad main bore or o-ring on the main bore but I measured it with the OE unit and the diameters were fine there.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to bump and old thread, just wondering if you could clarify what you mean by "poorly reamed drive shaft hole" and what to look for? I installed a Spectra Premium FD32 synchronizer and holy heck I had the worst time trying to remove this for servicing. At first I thought it was a bad main bore or o-ring on the main bore but I measured it with the OE unit and the diameters were fine there.
Sorry to get back so late as I was out of town.

The "poor Quality" were machining chips in the sealed plastic bag the syncro came in. They were not cleaned off prior to packaging. As well the reaming, which normally should leave an accurate smooth surface was very rough.

I ended up emailing Standard Motor and alerting them to the poor production method. It has probably been corrected by now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals