• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft Synchronizer replacement

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone- I am new to the site... just purchased 2002 Ranger Edge 2WD automatic with 118K miles. I have been going though questions in the forum and until I did, I had never heard of a camshaft synchronizer. Now I am worried I can't get the synchronizer replaced fast enough! Since I have never attempted replacement before, I expect to carry it to a shop to let them replace it. I plan to purchase the Motorcraft synchronizer from Rock Auto but do I can't seem to find a Cam Position Sensor that is a gunuine Motorcraft part. Is there another brand of the CPS that is reliable? Also how many hours of labor should a shop charge to replace the synchronizer and CPS? Thanks for any help!

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Dealer charges $185 to change synchronizer with me supplying the part. Thinking about letting them do it only because if I don't do it right, I'll end up with a wrecker bill and then having to pay them to replace it anyway...

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Had local garage replace synchronizer for 1 hour of labor @ $65. Glad I got it changed as you could hear sounds coming from the shaft while turning the gear. Since I just purchased the vehicle and it had 118k miles on it, I feel much better knowing part has been replaced.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hopefully it stays replaced. I did mine about 500 miles ago and now the CEL is again on same code 214. Based on my thread about it, I will have to replace my cam sensor/synchro again.

Ford no longer makes them for my year. And the aftermarket Dorman ones had terrible reviews, so I went with another aftermarket brand.

This time I finally got my hands on a NOS Motorcraft unit that will hopefully solve the problem for good.

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Hopefully the NOS will work for you. I have a 2002 Edge and Rock Auto had Motorcraft unit for mine for $104. My CEL never came on before I replaced but after reading about the issues with synchros I decided to go ahead and have it replaced. I had shop do ball joints at the same time.

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
You know...I mentioned I just bought this 2002 Ranger recently but the reason why was my wife got rear ended in an accident and totaled her 1995 Ranger Splash. That vehicle had over 300k miles and since I wasn't a member of this forum then, I had know idea what a camshaft synchronizer was much less it needing to be replaced. I guess I was either lucky or parts just aren't made like they used to be (or maybe both).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
They only need to be replaced when/if they go bad.

RHouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Y:fie:ou know that is true but this Ranger belongs to my wife and she is not real good about telling me about strange noises or lights on the dash when they happen. I usually find out when I drive it and I ask when that light came on or how long has truck been making that noise? Usual answer is it just started making noise or I didn't notice that light. I sometimes have to be a little more proactive with things rather than encountering a major problem if something gets ignored.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Y:fie:ou know that is true but this Ranger belongs to my wife and she is not real good about telling me about strange noises or lights on the dash when they happen. I usually find out when I drive it and I ask when that light came on or how long has truck been making that noise? Usual answer is it just started making noise or I didn't notice that light. I sometimes have to be a little more proactive with things rather than encountering a major problem if something gets ignored.
I’ve experienced that. I used to make sure i drove my wife’s car at least once a week so i would “know”.

tenndav

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Transmission
Automatic
They only need to be replaced when/if they go bad.
My 1999 Mazda B3000 3.0 FFV cam synchronizer failed on me at 70 MPH without notice; lost oil pressure and the end. I kept a close eye on this motor and it never had any noises or notice before that I heard. The shop that replaced the engine said that's what happened; cam synch. failed locked the oil pump and this happened at 125K. The replacement engine also failed blown head gasket and a lot of noise from the bottom rear maybe crankshaft. It was cheaper for me to buy a 2005 Mercury Sable engine with 92K for $345.00 from Amazon delivered to my house; than buy a new set of heads and take a chance on the noise coming from the bottom of the engine. I know that I'm taking a chance on a junkyard motor; but it looks really good on the outside just hoping the insides are good. If this doesn't work then I'm going to junk the trunk. That thing drives great after replacing the front-end suspension; the ball-joint was the hardest to put in. but you can't drive without a prime mover!

tenndav

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals