• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft position sensor electrical plug questions.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I started getting a 214 CEL code so am looking into swaping my cam position sensor. It looks like I can buy just the sensor, but it seems to have a different plug for the wiring harness compared to mine. I found this tech article here which says you can just swap just the sensor, instead of replacing the whole synchronize, but even its images show the difference in the parts. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-4-0l-camshaft-synchronizer/ Scroll to the bottom for new part and then scroll back up to see the different plug.

Mine has a plug that makes a 90 from the synchronizer so it is vertical with two tabs on the sides to hold the plug on. All the photos I can find of the replacement show its plug as horizontal with a single tab on top. I can not find anything to show how this actually works but the tech article says it does somehow and, the new sensor that looks different is listed for my 94 b4000. What am I missing here!?!?! I am serriously scratching my head and even looking at that tech write up I have no idea how it would work with a different wire connector then what is on the harness. Thanks.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Can I swap out the plug and just change the sensor? If I have to replace the whole sychronizer can upgrade to the new one and swap the plug? Does it just plug in and I am totally missing something by not having the parts in front of me?

Any help is appreciated I would like to get parts ordered so I can get my truck back on the road.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I just dealt with something similar, and ironically also on a '94 B4000.

So the easy answer... yes, you can replace just the sensor, it's just held to the synchronizer with two screws. It is very difficult to replace it with the transmission out, from under the truck, and probably impossible to do it from up top unless you remove the upper intake (the way the service manual recommends.)

The problem is that I don't think you can buy just the sensor. It's like a one or two year part - late 93 and 94 and it changed in either 95 or 96. The newer sensor is available by itself but it doesn't fit your synchronizer. If you're replacing both with new parts, just buy the one you need... later model one isn't really an upgrade. Supposedly Dorman synchronizers are terrible, I would avoid them.

If you want to do it on the cheap, you could get a used junkyard sensor and slap it on your synchronizer. You run the risk of wasting a bunch of time if it's also bad. These are kinda notorious for failure... either they start squeaking or the magnet comes apart and ruins the whole thing.

These are one thing I hate about the 4.0! 90-92 did not have them... they are so fragile and so hard to replace and so easy to break if you bump it during transmission removal.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just dealt with something similar, and ironically also on a '94 B4000.

So the easy answer... yes, you can replace just the sensor, it's just held to the synchronizer with two screws. It is very difficult to replace it with the transmission out, from under the truck, and probably impossible to do it from up top unless you remove the upper intake (the way the service manual recommends.)

The problem is that I don't think you can buy just the sensor. It's like a one or two year part - late 93 and 94 and it changed in either 95 or 96. The newer sensor is available by itself but it doesn't fit your synchronizer. If you're replacing both with new parts, just buy the one you need... later model one isn't really an upgrade. Supposedly Dorman synchronizers are terrible, I would avoid them.

If you want to do it on the cheap, you could get a used junkyard sensor and slap it on your synchronizer. You run the risk of wasting a bunch of time if it's also bad. These are kinda notorious for failure... either they start squeaking or the magnet comes apart and ruins the whole thing.

These are one thing I hate about the 4.0! 90-92 did not have them... they are so fragile and so hard to replace and so easy to break if you bump it during transmission removal.
OK so I can use either but would need to change the whole assembly and swap the plug for the new style, correct?

If so it may still be worth doing. My trucks style is $100 the new style complete assembly is $40

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I started getting a 214 CEL code so am looking into swaping my cam position sensor. It looks like I can buy just the sensor, but it seems to have a different plug for the wiring harness compared to mine. I found this tech article here which says you can just swap just the sensor, instead of replacing the whole synchronize, but even its images show the difference in the parts. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-4-0l-camshaft-synchronizer/ Scroll to the bottom for new part and then scroll back up to see the different plug.

Mine has a plug that makes a 90 from the synchronizer so it is vertical with two tabs on the sides to hold the plug on. All the photos I can find of the replacement show its plug as horizontal with a single tab on top. I can not find anything to show how this actually works but the tech article says it does somehow and, the new sensor that looks different is listed for my 94 b4000. What am I missing here!?!?! I am serriously scratching my head and even looking at that tech write up I have no idea how it would work with a different wire connector then what is on the harness. Thanks.
I just went through this, and now going through it again. 214 went away, then came back. Used an aftermarket unit because that is all that's available. Managed to get my hands on NOS motorcraft unit to swap in. Don't buy a Dorman.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK so I can use either but would need to change the whole assembly and swap the plug for the new style, correct?

If so it may still be worth doing. My trucks style is $100 the new style complete assembly is $40

I'm not sure. It may work fine or they may have changed something in the sensor so that it reads differently - I think your safest bet is to use the correct part. There is an alignment tool that you will also need to install the synchronizer correctly.

Pyromancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure. It may work fine or they may have changed something in the sensor so that it reads differently - I think your safest bet is to use the correct part. There is an alignment tool that you will also need to install the synchronizer correctly.
I think it would work. I have been trying to research here and at explorer forum.

"Had to register so I could inform any others out there.

Just finished putting a 98 4.0 Cam Synchro into my 94/95 4.0 Block. Starts and runs as intended. It was a 3 wire to 3 wire swap so I had no wiring issues to deal with other then reconnecting the connector that the previous owner had cut off the harness.

The only differences in mechanical dimensions was the length of the lower shaft that runs the Oil Pump drive shaft. Which just rides lower on the Oil Pump drive shaft. The Oil Pump drive shaft mounting depth was accurate for the newer style Cam Synchro it just ends up riding lower into the block and covering more of the Oil Pump drive shaft then the 95 model cam synchro.

So the only real issue for others that are trying to upgrade to the cheaper/upgraded cam synchro model is wiring the correct connector or dealing with a 2 wire setup for a 3 wire synchro."

"I've compared three cam position sensors: a 94, a 97 w/ a 123mm shaft, and a 97 w/ a 132 mm shaft. I am hoping to be able to run a 94 sensor in the 97 block.

Both 97 sensors are identical except for the additional 9mm at the bottom end of the shaft. Fordparts.com shows both the 123mm and 132mm shaft for 97 4.0 OHVs, and that the 132mm shaft superseded the 123mm shaft (for 98 4.0 OHVs they only list the 132mm shaft). Since there are no differences in oil pumps or oil pumps shafts, I think you can run either the short shaft or the long shaft in a 97/98 engine.

Now for the 94 to 97 w/ 123mm shaft comparison. Both sensors are the same length from the block mounting surface to the bottom tip of the shaft. The drive gears are in the same location relative to the block mounting surface and the shafts are the same length. The diameter of the machined portions of both sensors is the same; however, the O-ring and the machined portions of the sensors are different heights, but these differences seem inconsequential (?).

There are two big differences in the casting. Where the housing sits against the block on the 94 sensor, the housing isn't completely round, one side has a flat portion (94 sensor on bottom in all pics). This is above the O-ring that seals the sensor in the bore and still slightly larger in diameter than the machined portion that slides into the bore so it shouldn't matter. Maybe the notch was needed for clearance or with the clamp that holds the sensor in place.

The other difference is a notch in the casting on the lower machined surface circumference above the drive gear. This notch is right below a hole in the casting where you can see the shaft. I assume the notch is to allow oil up to that area and the hole is to allow oil to lubricate the shaft. You can also see two vertical "bars" in the casting that would confine oil to the area where the hole is.

The 97 sensor doesn't have the notch, but still has the hole to allow oil (?) to lubricate the shaft (see pic above). In the pic below, you can see a hole in the bottom of the body of the 97 housing right above the drive gear. I assume this is to allow oil in/out.

I don't see any differences that would prevent me from using the 94 sensor in the 97/98 block."

I might give it a go. I think first step would be seeing if I can just replace the sensor. I will need to hit a junkyard to try to get a sensor for that anyway. While I am there I will try to pull a plug and maybe compare a couple used sensors. Unless anyone else can chime in and tell me this will definitely work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals