• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camping/overlanding gear thread.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Camping is one of those things that can mean 10 different things to 10 different people. That's what makes it so great.

From roughin' it to 'glamping' there's something to sleep in and a gear-set for everyone.
I think this says it all. I have yet to hear a definition of the new term "overlanding" that sets it apart from other camping. I often hear people talk about being self-contained, self-reliant, off-grid, etc., indicating a state if preparedness for whatever comes along, especially when spending extended time in the wild. But campers have been doing that all along, since way before Lewis and Clark or Davy Crockett. Many are just taking that to extremes with batteries and solar panels and entering the realm of what I call glamping. Technology has given us possibilities only dreamed of years ago.

One thing I like, but don't have yet is the battery operated refrigerator. Being dependent on ice to keep food cool irritates me - slightly. But that can be overcome for long journeys by packing types of food that don't need to stay cold. Again, people have been doing that for a long, long time. It is also less convenient and even illegal in many places to hunt for your food while camping.

I also like the idea of the rooftop tent. Being up off the ground where fire ants and snakes live appeals to me. BuT I don't want it affixed to my truck. So to have one, I would need to put it on a trailer and that brings other challenges on tight trails and steep, rocky terrain.

So, call it what you like. Camping, car camping, overlanding, glamping, etc. Just go out and have fun at your level of adventure, comfort and affordability. It's a whole lot better than sitting on the sofa at home watching the internet and dreaming about doing what everyone else is doing.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The only rough definition of overlanding I've heard was actually more or less a comparison between going overlanding and going on an expedition (in a vehicle)

On an expedition.. the driving off road and camping/surviving in the wild stuff isn't the point at all.. those aspects of the journey are only there to facilitate the purpose OF the expedition. An expedition has a goal or a purpose.. like.. finding some old long forgotten mining camp or something so it can be put on 'the map'.

Overlanding is 'pointless'.. or rather.. the point is to just drive your crap off road and stay there for a couple days lol.

That's how It was explained to me anyhow.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I have a 12v cooler, and I really like it.

I don't currently have a way to easily keep power to it for an extended amount of time though.

If it's roughly 60° out and the coolers not in the sun, one of my bigger ryobi batteries is enough to keep it at temp (while empty) for 4-5 hours. My biggest battery would probably be for a bit over 6.

I had the french-est of ideas recently though... until I get a power bank big enough to run the cooler for more than a day or so without needing a recharge... I could just use my 12v cooler to make ice for a regular cooler 😂 the thing will go below 0... wouldn't take long to make some icecubes. Definitely less time than a drill battery would give me.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I always assumed that overlanding was going on a leisure trip and camping out of your vehicle while traveling.

While normally when someone says camping they are staying in one spot for a few days then going home.

Kinda like a backpacking trip versus camping. Staying in a different spot every night.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I must be a really stingy or simple-minded person. I have a couple of action packers for my gear to keep it dry/clean from mud and rain. The cook box is a clear tub and the stove, tent, and grille are in their original boxes. I use a ground 3-4 person tent with a center height of 5.5' and use a twin air mattress. As far as tools, I have a tool box and a small action packer for small air tools and battery tools since I sold my bed tool box years ago.

The "overlanding" thing to is just a more glorified type of camping, IMO. To me camping is either backpacking or camping from a vehicle. From there I guess it's all what you want to get out of experience. I've always thought camping was to get away from it all... including power, cellular phones, etc. I'm not saying that having those is bad at all. I will probably be a trailer camper here within the next 10 years.
It all depends on what you like to do. Overlanding is for people who like long treks using their 4X4s and generally don't stay in one place for maybe a night or two. For that crowd, fast and easy set up with as little unpacking and packing as possible is paramount.

I tend to prefer to camp in one place over several days. So use ground tents and equipment out of a utility trailer or backpack to a camping spot.

I wouldn't mind an overlanding setup but it isn't a prime driver for me. I'll probably sleep in the back of the truck since I have a bed cap. At least with the 2011. The bed on the 2019 is just to short (I tried sleeping in it). The 2019 will probably have to go with the RTT if I ever go to set it up for overlanding. The girls might be able to sleep in the bed since they are shorter but not me.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
20221016_174929.jpg

Finally decided to get a dual burner stove. Totally in love with it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The liquid fuel stoves are cool and all but it's like $12 or more a gallon anymore... I have a couple dual burner liquid fuel stoves and I think a lamp floating around, but propane is nice (technically liquid, just can't pour it in unless you're far north in the winter...)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I think this says it all. I have yet to hear a definition of the new term "overlanding" that sets it apart from other camping. I often hear people talk about being self-contained, self-reliant, off-grid, etc., indicating a state if preparedness for whatever comes along, especially when spending extended time in the wild. But campers have been doing that all along, since way before Lewis and Clark or Davy Crockett. Many are just taking that to extremes with batteries and solar panels and entering the realm of what I call glamping. Technology has given us possibilities only dreamed of years ago.

One thing I like, but don't have yet is the battery operated refrigerator. Being dependent on ice to keep food cool irritates me - slightly. But that can be overcome for long journeys by packing types of food that don't need to stay cold. Again, people have been doing that for a long, long time. It is also less convenient and even illegal in many places to hunt for your food while camping.

I also like the idea of the rooftop tent. Being up off the ground where fire ants and snakes live appeals to me. BuT I don't want it affixed to my truck. So to have one, I would need to put it on a trailer and that brings other challenges on tight trails and steep, rocky terrain.

So, call it what you like. Camping, car camping, overlanding, glamping, etc. Just go out and have fun at your level of adventure, comfort and affordability. It's a whole lot better than sitting on the sofa at home watching the internet and dreaming about doing what everyone else is doing.
I think they used to call it car camping.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have one of those two burner propane stoves. It's great, I like it for road trips too. Plop a stove out on the tailgate and make a couple hamburgers for lunch.

I think you can get adapters for hooking up a 20lb tank to it too.

I also heard someone talking about refilling the little green ones off a full size.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I have one of those two burner propane stoves. It's great, I like it for road trips too. Plop a stove out on the tailgate and make a couple hamburgers for lunch.

I also heard someone talking about refilling the little green ones off a full size.
Adapters are definitely available, and refilling the little bottles is DIY possible too.. I just forget the exact process.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
and refilling the little bottles is DIY possible too.. I just forget the exact process.
I'm guessing you hook up the little bottle to the big bottle and open the valve until you don't hear hissing anymore. lol

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

They sell an adapter. Its sorta works, sketchy and doesnt fill up all th way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals