• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camping/overlanding gear thread.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Lots of us like to camp, some of us seem to be diving right into the overlanding thing.. did a quick search and came up with nothing so.. figured this might be a neat thread to have.

What have you gotten, recently or otherwise, that was a solid addition to your gear setup?

Our trip riding wheelers over the weekend consisted of driving around on logging roads until we found a suitable spot to set up camp. When we made our plans, I knew there wasn't going to be a fire pit wherever we picked.

Being responsible.. I didn't wanna just have an open fire on the ground.. and being VACATION there was no way I was gonna hunt for a bunch of rocks to made a ring out of lol so I went on Amazon to see what they had to offer.

I ended up with this collapsible fire ring for 35$ shipped to my door. Each section is 17" long, so when it's all set up there's more than enough room to fit logs cut at regular length.. and when it's all folded up and in its carrying bag it's pretty compact and easy to store.

20220930_174648.jpg

Some of the reviews of it on Amazon are clearly from... the unreasonable. Lots of complaints about the paint peeling off after having a raging fire in it 🙄 and some people wish the metal was thicker.

I'm perfectly happy with it. Even though parts of the paint are now flaking off lol. Would reccomend.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Most of my stuff is setup up for tent camping but there is a fine line between camping somewhere and being an Overlander. Mainly how you get there and how long you stay, I suppose.

A lot of my gear really isn't camp for the night friendly. Something I aim to change as time goes on.

As far as the ring, I think it's a great idea and don't let the thin metal deter you. I've had the same thin sheet metal, $35-$40 fire ring in my back yard for about 9 years now and it doesn't show signs of giving up the ghost any time soon. The one you have there is a good idea and I think I should put that on the "need to buy" list. The places I camp generally have a fire ring already but a break down model like that shouldn't take up too much room and fit in the boxes I have.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Cool. Back in the spring, I bought a small flat pack fire pit/ grill. I wanted something small, compact and easy to carry that I could build a small fire in for cooking just for one or two people. I modified it to make it more efficient and I like it.

20220906_200846.jpg

20220906_200829.jpg

BTW, I moved your thread to the camping forum.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Cool fire pit, wish we were allowed free range on fires (they are banned in the national forest except in campgrounds in South Dakota.)

Side note: I have a CNC plasma table and follow a lot of social media posts on them...many people use them for cutting custom fire pits and the complaints are just crazy. "it warped!!" or flaming embers fell through the holes...or stupid things. Well duh, you put a fire in it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: It's like people forgot that fire is hot.

Here's my contribution:

Price has gone up a little but still worthwhile I think. Super easy to set up, way faster than the shower tent I had before. Teardown is literally 30 seconds and can be done by one person. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a ceiling but my wife made one out of a shower curtain that sticks on with Velcro.

294222193_1053427505547774_3387425721459388724_n.jpg
295427346_305359845079044_5820251306025385937_n.jpg

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I also upgraded my tent and awning setup this year. I would still like to get an offroad trailer with rtt setup on it. But this is working great.

20220520_183206.jpg

20220520_185348.jpg

20220520_185701.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Everyone I know who had a roof top tent and actually used it, does not have one any longer. It's kinda funny actually, they are super expensive and then you have some expense and time into a rack or something to mount it on... only to sell it later.

#1 complaint is that they take forever to pack up. My three friends that had Roam tents all took an hour to pack up in the morning... my ARB tent room takes about half that.
#2 complaint is they kill your aerodynamics/gas mileage
#3 is that they are a mega pain to put on and take off (heavy)
#4 is people don't like the ladder/knee complaints/getting out to pee sucks
#5 not much room to change clothes or hang out unless you get an annex (more $$$$, more weight.)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Cool. Back in the spring, I bought a small flat pack fire pit/ grill. I wanted something small, compact and easy to carry that I could build a small fire in for cooking just for one or two people. I modified it to make it more efficient and I like it.

View attachment 83283

View attachment 83284

BTW, I moved your thread to the camping forum.
I looked at those but my camping trips range from two people up to six. So. I'm afraid I'd be expecting too much of one of those. Plus, I already have a self standing fire grate. I just want something to contain the coals.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My Stanley French Press. Can't imagine a camping morning without it.

1664819172567.png

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Everyone I know who had a roof top tent and actually used it, does not have one any longer. It's kinda funny actually, they are super expensive and then you have some expense and time into a rack or something to mount it on... only to sell it later.

#1 complaint is that they take forever to pack up. My three friends that had Roam tents all took an hour to pack up in the morning... my ARB tent room takes about half that.
#5 not much room to change clothes or hang out unless you get an annex (more $$$$, more weight.)
I’ve had mine for over 4 years… I’ll agree with #5.

#1- I can pack up my RTT in about 15 minutes. If it takes them an hour, they’re doing something wrong.
#2- don’t mount them over the cab. Keep it cab level and only over the bed.
D9EA9E50-8D97-41A3-A1A3-0403848D7341.jpeg

#3- I can install and remove this thing in a matter of minutes… without breaking a sweat.
I roll it on a hand truck to the back of the truck. Slide it onto the tailgate. Lean on the back and lift the front onto the crossbar. Then push it forward. I use my brains and gravity to do most of the work.
#4- sounds like a personal problem.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

RTTs definitely have their pluses and minuses over ground tents or sleeping the bed. The setup, tear down time issue is definitely something you have to watch out for. Where you load it makes a difference in the mpg department but there is still going to be a gas robbing fuel penalty. From what I've seen, the setup Jim had on the Loan Ranger is the best compromise if you are going to go RTT.

You are absolutely correct on the weight and PITA of the install/removal. I've seen where some have a lift setup in their garage to make things easier. Basically a thing with four ropes/cables the come down and a crank handle mechanism like they use for awnings. No idea where they got it or how much it costs.

As far as the room, you are correct there too. You either need to get a separate awning or an annex which costs more money and adds weight high up.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

1. Most of those I've seen setup/pack up in just a few minutes. Might be an issue that is specific to certain brands or models.

2. my mileage can't get much worse

3. I would want it on a trailer. So it can stay on all the time.

4. The ladder is definitely an issue. I would have to lift the dog in and out all the time.

5. I would definitely want an annex. The reason I got the bigger tent is to have stand-up room for dressing/undressing, taking sponge bath, etc.

And price is a big issue.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My point with the RTT is to make sure it's what you really want and factor in the pros and cons before you spend the money on one. I think they're cool, they work WAY better in a truck than on an SUV. Just a big commitment in terms of cost.

I was sleeping inside my Explorer for quite a while and it worked great. I just had a sleeping pad underneath all my gear boxes... take them out and go to bed. 5 minutes to unpack or pack up in the morning. The only bummer was that you have to cover up your stuff at night or it will get wet with dew or rain (or frost...)

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Whoops, I always forget we have a camping subforum.. my bad.. I hastily scrolled down to the tailgate and completely missed it 😋

I've always liked the idea of those collapsible fire pit/grill combo jobbers, never used one though. Like sarge said.. our trips are usually 3+ people who constantly have the munchies.. I feel as if one of those wouldnt really work out the best for us.

My aunt and uncle have a folding Coleman oven that I've seen in action a few times.. a freshly baked cake while camping is neat! It's just not the most space friendly thing in the world. The older I get and the more I go camping.. the less stuff I want to have to carry/pack/clean. Simplification is the name of the game at this point.

Although... the morning coffee routine is getting to be a bit of a hassle for me. We started with the classic percolator, then got turned onto the French press.. but now.. I'm heavily considering just bringing a damn coffee pot along and getting an inverter for my truck. SIMPLIFY... right? 😂 a coffee pot is even worse for packability than the folding oven.. but holy moly it would make getting coffee'd up in the morning a TON easier. It's a trade-off I'm definitely willing to explore.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
A trailer would be the best place for a RTT. I’ve been planning on building a rack to mount mine on my trailer with the SxS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals