• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camber Issue (T-Bar + Superlift)

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
So i installed my superlift kit on my 99 ranger and cranked the torsion bars to my desired ride height (IE: around what they recommend with the superlift) So i ran it around for a couple days after cranking them, oh, they should have settled enough right? Wrong. I went and spent $60 getting them aligned and after about a week the camber is noticeably, way off, at least several degrees, I was PISSED. It settled like an inch lower than i had them cranked.... well i never would have thought that it would sink down so much but it did so.....I was thinking, since the caster should be still good, its just the camber, so what if I just cranked the torsion bars back up to the appropriate height and use a camber caster gauge such as this and adjust the camber? Says its accurate to within an 1/8 of a degree, and I can live with that kind of accuracy I think..... So i can readjust it as needed if the torsion bars settle again or i have problems in the future i can check it. What do you guys think? http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1934/Caster_Camber_Gauges

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You do know that when you crank the bars, camber goes negative right?

I fixed my camber issues using Ingalls cambolts from Summit Racing. I've still not got it aligned, but dangit, I eyeballed it and it's pretty darn near close. lol.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
You do know that when you crank the bars, camber goes negative right?

I fixed my camber issues using Ingalls cambolts from Summit Racing. I've still not got it aligned, but dangit, I eyeballed it and it's pretty darn near close. lol.
I bought the adjustable cambolts from napa, installed them myself, got an alignment so the alignment was right, but now i got a crazy negative camber!. Are you sure it goes negative? Because when you crank the bolt, it pushes the key up, rotating the bar moving the LCA down.... wouldnt that make the bottom of the tire rotate in or ...would the UCA kinda hold it in place and rotating the bottom out? if the damn torsion bars settled, wouldnt it go into negative? and if you're right, wouldnt if it settled it'd go into positive? I can tell you right now, that the measurement between the LCA bolt and the bottom of the knuckle (what you measure for adjustment when doing the superlift) Is almost an inch lower than what It was when i went to get it aligned. Anybody got any ideas? This is also my DD and this sucks ass.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the condition of your wheel bearings???

If it settled, it'd go POSITIVE.

Did you assemble the torsion keys and that rubbery/steel thing block above the key properly?

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
What's the condition of your wheel bearings???

If it settled, it'd go POSITIVE.

Did you assemble the torsion keys and that rubbery/steel thing block above the key properly?
i didnt even touch the keys, and yea, i put that rubbery/steel block thing back in above the key, god i am pissed, i think its only the drivers side that is off, It was off before I even went wheeling, so its not like i did it, I am going to call tires 2000 tomorrow and see if they will fix it for free, and if they dont, im done with them.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Believe me Ozzy...you touched the torsion keys to install the kit. lol. I know some folks have a major height issue when they don't put the keys in correctly. Usually, it comes down to them forgetting the blue/rubbery thingy that rests above the key.

Let me know what's up when you get it fixed. I don't have any issues with mine. But then again, I've not aligned the truck ever while under my ownership. lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals