• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam timing

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I keep hearing talk about timing your cam for a little bit more umph. can anyone inform me about how to do this?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Not possible. With a stock cam, stock timing is the absolute best place to run it.

drb1956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
timing

With a PCM controlling all aspects of the engine, that kind of tuning really can't be done unless you get a PCM tuner, or put in a "chip". Any kind of "adjustments" outside of stock static timing, you will be asking for all kinds of probs. If you get a tuner or a chip, be careful because sometimes more isn't necessarily better. If you have a distributor you can "adjust", I would tread lightly. I would concern myself with making the engine breath better (clean filter and in good repair exhaust), keep it in good tune, with tires properly inflated and aligned. How much slack do you have at the gas pedal?? Check this way-look under dash at pedal where cable comes thru firewall, pull up on pedal til it hits firewall and see how much cable is left over. If its more than a quarter inch, get you a ziptie and wrap it around cable and pull tight. This will take up the slack (as long as it doesn't stop it from retuning to idle position), and greatly improve throttle response. Add more as needed. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the cam timing-maybe someone can chime in and have some info. Good luck!!:icon_thumby:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I already gave all the info needed! The only way to get more umph from adjust the cam is to buy a new cam. That will cost you $400 for just a new roller, and then you have to be careful not to exceed the max lift available for the head. After that point you have to have the head machined.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mikel89us is correct.

Manufacturers don't "de-tune" engines.
They DO set them up for best MPG which may be contrary to your desires of wanting more power.

But without modification of the engines ability to "burn more fuel" per minute there is no "tuning" that will add any power.

Popular upgrade is an electric fan for the rad, replacing the belt driven fan, this will free up some horse power and also increase MPG, small changes but not 0.

Cold air intakes(CAI) are a waste of money, stock system IS a CAI

Exhaust changes can move the power band lower, they don't add power, they allow the power to be used starting at a lower RPM, stock system exhaust is tuned for mid-range power band.
So if power band is 2,000-3,000rpm now it can be lowered to 1,500-2,500rpm, thats an example not "the power band" for Lima engines, lol

Last edited:

drb1956

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry

I already gave all the info needed! The only way to get more umph from adjust the cam is to buy a new cam. That will cost you $400 for just a new roller, and then you have to be careful not to exceed the max lift available for the head. After that point you have to have the head machined.
Mikel89us, sorry about that. I was just trying to get him to look at what he already has. I used to "hot rod" V8's back in the day(70's), with bolt ons, headers, carb tuning, degree wheel on a cam, distributor timing, and the like. With these puter control engines, its hard to do anything to these engines, as the way their programmed from the factory. If you do anything, the puter adjusts,usually not for the better. If you got some dough, you can "super tune" these machines-but you usually have to start swapping out parts, and then theres alway a trade off-more power or MPG's. With the price of gas, and I don't have a 6-figure income-I'll take the MPGs. My truck is all stock under the hood, other than a K+N, and it does the job just fine of getting me from point A to point B. Have a nice life..

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
i'm looking for a way to give my project truck a little bit more. project truck is a 78 mazda b1800, right now she has a baffled glasspack and a weber carb.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals