• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Synchronizer Bad

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone! I am new here am this is my first post!
Well, on to it then...

My 97 Ranger 3.0L (115K) got the P0340 OBD code yesterday - cam sensor fault.:dntknw:
I took the old sensor off and the inside had disintegrated! In fact the magnet had fallen off and bent the carp out of the rotor in the synchronzer. I am going to replace it.
Couple of questions.
1)-Ebay has a new complete assy with alignment tool AND sensor for $33 + S&H from aftrmrktprtsplus. It seem to cheap to be real. Anybody have any experience with this guy?
2)-I read on another site that said the synchro can be aligned by voltage instead of the tool and it gives a procedure. Did anyone try this method?

Anyways, the truck has been good so far, few problems. I am surprised it ran fairly well given the condition of the cam position sensor. It was a bit hard starting, though, but ran well once I got going.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I figured this one out on my own also. Bought the part from Ebay which included the tool and sensor. Put everything back together and its running like a champ.
Have some scratches and bruises, but it was worth it.
Doesn't Ford engineers consider maintenance when they design their vehicles?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't Ford engineers consider maintenance when they design their vehicles?

I'm sure they do, then the fu___ng bean counters start in and everything goes to hell.

dirtdobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 3.0 ranger
Transmission
Manual
So what is the voltage to the sensor suppose to be? That would help me out greatly!!!!

brandonwfo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey man i followed your instructions on installing a cam synchronizer. i have a 95 ranger splash 4.0 i think i did something wrong. when i start my truck it shoots up to 3500 rpm and shuts off any help would really be apprecited iam lost.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals