• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam synchronizer alignment w/ pics

downer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 4.0 OHV 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i think i may be overthinking this. So i have no cam sychronizer reference for this engine, i'm working through a full rebuild of the original 97 block. It's so much easier to deal with this when the engine is out of the truck. can anyone verify which way is correct? i believe the second set of pics are correct, with about a 60 degree angle from longitudinal centerline. #1 cylinder is at 10 degrees after TDC.

IMG_20190524_175009724.jpg

OR

avid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4.0 OHV 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
The second set of pictures should be correct: it should be angled toward the rear passenger side. I just did this last fall on my 98 4.0.

avid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT 4.0 OHV 4wd
Transmission
Automatic

This is viewing it from the rear with the cap tool on. I originally placed it while I had the engine out but then had an engine code (pointing to the cam sync) come up once the engine was in and running. So I stripped it back down to the lower intake to get access to it. I had to stab it in there several times to get where I felt it was as close to the angle as prescribed. The other thing I did was turned the sensor roughly to the same angle (rather than pointing it straight back). Since this it's giving me no codes. Have driven it approximately 3500 miles.

Also, there was something with the caps. I think the Autozone rentals said the yellow cap was for Fords, but if I recall correctly it was the Gray cap that actually fit the apparatus and did what it was supposed to do. You might double check this while you have the engine out.

Last edited:

Blueovalsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Thanks for posting I have 92 4.0 ohv with 347,000 it’s tired I bought a complete running 94 explorer with a 4.0 ohv. The explorer motor has the cam sensor but my 92 does not?? Will the 94 motor work in my 92??? Cpldad1972@gmail.com
Semper fi
Sam

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Thanks for posting I have 92 4.0 ohv with 347,000 it’s tired I bought a complete running 94 explorer with a 4.0 ohv. The explorer motor has the cam sensor but my 92 does not?? Will the 94 motor work in my 92??? Cpldad1972@gmail.com
Semper fi
Sam
Yes. The 92 should have an oil pump drive plug in that hole. You can swap that into the 94 block, or just leave the cam synchronizer in and not hook it up. Your choice.

Blueovalsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Your a life saver does that mean that the injectors get the timing and when to fire from the crank sensor

Blueovalsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Do I need any wiring from the donor explorer or right of do you know if my ranger factory wiring will work Plug in play???
Thanks so much

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Your a life saver does that mean that the injectors get the timing and when to fire from the crank sensor
Yes, it's batch fire. It will fire one bank of injectors on one revolution and the other bank on the next one.

Blueovalsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Hey I dropped in the 94 4.0 explorer motor in the 92 ranger and it fired up that’s for the help
Semper fi

Sam

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals