• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam sensor malfunction after gasket replacement

biggddiesell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
2004 ford range 2.3l dual cam

first of all **** the 2.3l dual cam 4 engine, every bolt is in a ****ed up location this engine sucks to work on. But here is my problem

i have no clue wtf is going on my old gasket was warped so it was leaking oil into my spark plugs(or that was my best guess) took the valve covers off which was a ****ing bitch because none of the bolts were east to get to and had to basically remove the intake manifold to get the valve covers off. Cleaned the surface sanded it got all the oil out of the valve cover wiped everything down and replaced the gasket made sure it was as dry as i could with shop towels and put everything back on, now my check engine light came on and said i have a cam sensor malfunction, i neeed my truck for work and i have put probubly 50 miles on it with oil leaking out the back of the valve covers and into the back of the hood..... Done this before on another car but the gasket was a cork material and never had any problems..... please help!!!!!!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I will first tell you I don't know anything specific about your engine. After saying that, I will say that if after you "fixed" something and now suddenly something else quit working, the law of averages says you did something to break it. So go back and check everything you did. You probably somehow disconnected the cam sensor or messed up the wiring/connector to it.

Go here for a cam sensor discussion.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95161

For the oil leak, you probably didn't install the gasket properly. Gaskets are not always easy to get right without the shop manual. Over torque them and they leak, under torque and they leak, align them wrong and they leak, etc.

Last edited:

biggddiesell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
forgot to tighten the cam sensor bolt, pressure popped it off the valve cover and oil was spraying out ... homer simpson moment

doh

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Glad you found it. A hundred years ago I dated a NASCAR mechanic's daughter. His most helpful advise was that if it worked before you worked on it, you broke it, so go back and do it over.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals