• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Questions and other Upgrades

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sadly I made that realization. Is there anyway around the ECU? Can I reprogram it or something to get some kind of choppy idle

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Define "nasty". If you're talking about it having a lopey idle, that's not going to happen with an EFI setup. The two do not go hand in hand.You can do it with a carbed engine, but the idle speed controller on an EFI setup can't deal with it. The best it'll do is the idle will constantly move up and down by a few hundred rpms and sound like crap doing it.
Oh really? :) (click video)

The idle is very easy to mess with while using EFI. Just don't let the clean-hands Mustang jackasses hear that you mess with the idle screw, the panties tend to bunch up in a hurry.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! That is a really clean swap and it sounds really good. What did you do to get that idle?? What cam are you using? That engine looks like it came stock in that truck really nice job.

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Wow! That is a really clean swap and it sounds really good. What did you do to get that idle?? What cam are you using? That engine looks like it came stock in that truck really nice job.
The is the classic Ford B303 cam and 1.7:1 rockers.

Best tip for idle is a quick step called "base idle reset".
Basically, set TPS to spec, disconnect IAC wiring, set minimum idle speed wherever you want, as long as it will still run. Double check that TPS is still in spec after idle adjust, then reset ECU by disconnecting the battery briefly. Hook up the the IAC wiring and battery, and you're done. If it won't idle or stalls, just bump the set screw until it will.

Along the same lines, I deleted the IAC on my Mustang 4.6 (with a solid metal "gasket") as the idle function is just silly. It would idle at 11-1200rpm while moving. I set it to 600rpm (it's stock internally) and the rpm drop as soon as I touch the clutch. I don't use AC and don't drive it in the winter, so it is okay this low. A more reasonable 750 would be easier to drive, but I like the sound idling low like that.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well, my bad. :dunno: I've always heard that the reason why the E cam (and other lopey cams)wouldn't work was cause of the idle issues. Guess I heard wrong.:D

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, my bad. :dunno: I've always heard that the reason why the E cam (and other lopey cams)wouldn't work was cause of the idle issues. Guess I heard wrong.:D
I think that more specifically it's the Explorer 5.0 OBDII ECU that has some compatibility issues. The Mustang stuff does quite well with all the FordRacing cams, even without any tuning.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I should know better since the B cam was originally made for the SD motors.

Range98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 with a bunch of mods
Transmission
Automatic
Well this made me my week! I was not looking forward to trying to force my truck to have a nice idle but that seems pretty straightforward now. I'm getting more and more excited to get rolling on the project. I'll try to do a decent write up and I'll make sure to include my try at adjusting the idle. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals