• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Calling out to all Ranger experts (Bucket Seats in Regular Cab)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've been doing some research and honestly I'm confused and fed up with unclear results. I have a 1998 Ranger regular cab. I recently bought buckets and console out of a 2000 Explorer. I tried swapping the tracks, and the tracks were too narrow, when tack welded, they sat too high and close to the dash. I just want to know, is there any seats out there that are buckets and that bolt up to the existing tracks. I've heard about the halo headrest mustang gt seats, but didn't know if they were super expensive or if required the same amount of fabrication as putting any other bucket in here. I have considered getting 92 Prelude seats since they fit nicely in the Hilux single cabs, and in my head since the hilux is smaller than the ranger, that theyd allow more adjustment opportunities. Please help lol, I want the explorer console without just cutting up the 60/40 bench and still have sh*tty seats.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Bucket seats were optional all the way up till 11 but we didn't sell many. My 93 came to me with bucket seats but I have no idea what they're out of, the console was in a box and has a sticker on the bottom that says supercab.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So bucket seats were optional for single cab rangers?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The original cheap seats in my regular cab hit the rear glass, I can't see anything with a headrest working unless you keep them all the way forward and sit on top of the steering wheel. I've been hunting myself for a couple years in the junkyards and haven't found anything yet.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The original cheap seats in my regular cab hit the rear glass, I can't see anything with a headrest working unless you keep them all the way forward and sit on top of the steering wheel. I've been hunting myself for a couple years in the junkyards and haven't found anything yet.
Like I was saying, the prelude seats from a 92 look promising. Just finding one that's being parted out or take to a yard is a bit of a challenge.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the problem with bucket seats in the regular cab is the thickness and height of the back support, unless your not very tall it just can't go back far enough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the problem with bucket seats in the regular cab is the thickness and height of the back support, unless your not very tall it just can't go back far enough
And I mean I hear people are using 91-93 explorer/Navajo seats cause apparently they're skinnier on the back, and people will even use another 40 seat, but I mean come on, no one can say yeah I love my stock cushioning on the split bench. If I have to fabricate it just makes more sense to get really small buckets and just fabricate it all to hell.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
take another ranger passenger seat and bolt the tracks on and youre set. sure the release/recline lever is now on the wrong side but how often do you really use that? Big plus- its easy to find a passenger seat with very little “seat time” so you can have a seat in nearly new condition without all the wear & tear normally found on a drivers side seat. Yes Ive done this myself.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I can tell you from experience that the super nice buckets out of a 2012 focus DO NOT fit a 2011.

I was poking around my 2011 superdoody the other day and want to take a few measurements... They look like they're the same tracks. Not sure though

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
take another ranger passenger seat and bolt the tracks on and youre set. sure the release/recline lever is now on the wrong side but how often do you really use that? Big plus- its easy to find a passenger seat with very little “seat time” so you can have a seat in nearly new condition without all the wear & tear normally found on a drivers side seat. Yes Ive done this myself.
I've considered doing this... but in my 2 door extended cab... I find myself sliding the seat forward a couple times a week. So having the seat levers on the wrong side would be bad.

Did you put in a console?
Can you actually get to the levers?
Do they rub on the console?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have installed 2001 explorer seats in my 93 single cab. Relatively easy install. A little more leg room might be nice. But I don’t drive the Ranger on really long trips. So I’m ok with it. (I’m 6’ 2”).

I would actually like having the seat levers on the wrong side. Since my truck is lifted considerably, the recline lever sticks up and gets rubbed pretty good when I get in and out of the truck. It has actually bent and broken off. That’s a project for “some day”. But I could use replacements again anyway since the foam is deteriorating pretty bad.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have 04 Ranger super cab seats in my '86 single cab and I put the same seats in a '96 single cab as well... had to use the original tracks both times... newer seat tracks are often attached to the seat bottoms by rivets that have to be ground off. What you have WILL fit.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have installed 2001 explorer seats in my 93 single cab. Relatively easy install. A little more leg room might be nice. But I don’t drive the Ranger on really long trips. So I’m ok with it. (I’m 6’ 2”).

I would actually like having the seat levers on the wrong side. Since my truck is lifted considerably, the recline lever sticks up and gets rubbed pretty good when I get in and out of the truck. It has actually bent and broken off. That’s a project for “some day”. But I could use replacements again anyway since the foam is deteriorating pretty bad.
on my '90 I had the same issue with the recline lever on both sides, once the lever broke off I took a cutoff wheel and notched it a couple times while checking fit to get it to go lower. I have no friggin idea why they put that stupid lever way the heck up there... they get bent and broken in a stock height Explorer, I think my wife lost her lever over the last couple years before I got to fixing it... Come to think of it I found a cherry seat in an explorer a year ago and without the seat padding completely crushed the lever isn't too bad, the new one isn't bent or broken yet... I forgot I changed the seat...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I've considered doing this... but in my 2 door extended cab... I find myself sliding the seat forward a couple times a week. So having the seat levers on the wrong side would be bad.

Did you put in a console?
Can you actually get to the levers?
Do they rub on the console?
Ive been wanting to build a console but havent yet, I do have the stock armrest that would flip up and has storage inside, was part of the 60/40 original seat, it just sits between the seats, its not long enough to be bothered by the (now) driver side seat lever. I can use it and reach it, I just rarely have the need for it as mine is a reg cab and theres not much room there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals