• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) calling on experience with a milled head for higher compression

96STranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.3l shorty
Transmission
Manual
I am interested in going the high compression route in pursuit of more lima fun. I've read a few discussions about how much milling will produce how much more compression...but i want to hear from the OG Fordahaulics out there that have done it and remember some specific numbers. I plan on a 3 angle valve job while its off as well if that matters. I have plans of opening up the exhaust while keeping the diameter, and cam gear, higher fpr, ect. Also, 91 oct is my highest option here. any and all experience, stories, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No ideas yet but I did pick up a motor built for the salt flats. I will be taking it apart sometime in the next year and will post results. It has home built mechanical fuel injection and some high dollar parts on it and was told that there was some major head work done.
20211110_120920.jpg

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have a lot of experience with building 4 cyl Austin Healey Sprite race engines. I run almost 15-1 compression ratio and it puts out about double what it did form the factory.

The first thing I can tell you if you are limited to 91 octane, you don't much room to increase compression ratio or you will be pinging a lot and can damage the pistons. You can get the most power out of an engine with head flow and that takes a professional with much knowledge and a good flow bench to get good results. Even with a head that flows well, everything in the engine must balance to get it to work right. Things like compression, valve size, cam, exhaust, etc. must all be in tune to get the most out of and engine. You can also get to the point that the engine puts out great power but is difficult to drive on the street and needs high rpm to make that power.

I am guessing you are not after a full on race engine but want a little more power. A little compression will help but be careful about doing any porting on the head. You can make it lose power if it is done wrong. Just opening it up does not guaranty better flow. Find a good professional to do any head flow work.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have a lot of experience with building 4 cyl Austin Healey Sprite race engines. I run almost 15-1 compression ratio and it puts out about double what it did form the factory.
I'd love to see these cars and engines

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There is only one car and many engines built over 32 years of racing. Since this is pretty much off topic, I will PM a photo of the car to you next week if that is possible.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On the 2.3L Lima there's a lot of room for improvement in the intake side of the head, even a little playing with a die grinder will help... don't go too crazy, don't attempt to gasket match just smooth things out... when I ported my 2.3L head I lost like 3psi of boost after the rebuild which means the air actually got into the cylinders instead of being a restriction...

felgar_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.5 and 3.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2" on the 2000
Total Drop
6" on the 99
Tire Size
255/45r18
My credo
drive like you stole it
if you do it get a good shop to mill it, it has to be flat or your belt will not ride right. you can mill the block a little too, also get an adjustable cam gear or your timing will be off, you can do head work with larger valves and cam and get more power out of it,

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals