• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Call out for Rwenzing & RangerSVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I have double checked my notes and read everything I could find previously received from both of you. I feel confident I have all of my bases covered with the initial wiring for test start purposes. But then again, four or six eyes are better than two. Here is a quick rundown of the wiring changes for my application, please let me know if either of you see something I may have missed or forgot to list below.

Vehicle: 99 Ranger, 2wd, regular cab, coil spring, 3.0L V6, auto trans.

Engine, engine harness, battery harness, power block harness, and ECM: 01 Mountaineer, 2wd, 5.0L.

PATS deleted.

1. The starter had two wires from the Mountaineer battery harness that were attached to the starter. Y/LYB & ?

2. Small engine harness 12 pin plug combined: Y/LTB-Starter, R/Y & BK/W-AC High pressure switch, GY/W & BLACK-AC Compressor clutch.

3. Small engine harness 12 pin plug not combined: DG/WH-Oil Pressure sending switch (Removed and routed to Ranger 42 pin connector, chassis side). R/WH & BK/W (Rwenzing mentioned the Explorer connector may have two additional wires for the message center) These were not used on my application.

4. The Alternator wiring was not changed. 5.0 Mountaineer harness was used.

5. Auto trans to Manual trans conversion. Brake/clutch pedals were changed and the clutch safety switch wiring was connected from existing pigtail plug in dash harness. Brake switch was reconnected to original wiring plug.

6. Tach wiring has not yet been revised.

7. O2 sensors are not installed.

Questions:

1. I had a note about the starter relay wiring/revision. Is there anything I need to change in regards to starter wiring?

2. The 99 V6 Ranger was original equipped with the FLEX FUEL option. It looks like the wiring for the FLEX FUEL sensor can simply be unplugged and ignored without any repining. The correct fuel lines have been installed.

3. The 99 V6 Ranger was originally equipped with an Automatic transmission. Is there any electrical/manual safety equipment that needs to be changed in the steering column that will interfere with start up? I noticed the push button safety switch for “Key Off” is not present on the Automatic trans Steering column.

4. Based on what you see here is there any reason the vehicle should not start?

Thank you both once again for all your help over the past few years.

Jeff

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Jeff, I just now seen this post, lol. I'm sure you got your answer since then...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Jeff, I just now seen this post, lol. I'm sure you got your answer since then...

SVT
Yea, LOL! No problem Rick, I got it all sorted out. I do have a few issues I am starting to sort out but since you are right here maybe you can toss out the answers without any research.

It looks like my fuel gauge isn't working. The needle sits far below the empty mark and looks like it has no power. Any common issue with these? I can chase it down but you may have a suggestion on where to start. It worked before the swap. I did add a Walbro pump so the assembly has been apart. The truck was originally a Flex Fuel vehicle. The Flex Fuel harness is intact but not connected. I have not looked yet but the fuel gauge connections could run through that harness.

My left turn indicator lights when I depress the brake pedal. Could this be caused by all of the lights (turn signal, brake, back up, head light, park lights, etc) being unplugged.

My THEFT light blinks when the engine is running. Is this to be expected when the PATS system is disabled through the SCT tuner?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Check your ground on the sending unit. Also plug in the flex fuel plug as I think it does interact with it.

The lights issue could be the multifunction switch, as all the light circuits go through it. It could also be a lack of backfeed from the other bulbs not plugged in.

The anti theft light shouldn't illuminate with the pats deleted in the tune. I'll take a look in my software, but I don't remember a second variable for pats, but email Greg on it, he might have come across it...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Check your ground on the sending unit. Also plug in the flex fuel plug as I think it does interact with it.

The lights issue could be the multifunction switch, as all the light circuits go through it. It could also be a lack of backfeed from the other bulbs not plugged in.

The anti theft light shouldn't illuminate with the pats deleted in the tune. I'll take a look in my software, but I don't remember a second variable for pats, but email Greg on it, he might have come across it...

SVT
Thanks Rick,

Fuel gauge: I know that the pin out on C304? is different for the Flex Fuel trucks but the connections are the same. They just have different pin outs. I did have a note to check the dedicated ground and the signal return as these are the two that run through different pins. I will take your advice and start there.

I will wait on the turn signal indicator until all the lights are installed and plugged in.

The PATS delete has me wondering how that all works. I had a key made without being programmed. When used it activates power, runs the fuel pump but won't fire the truck. The original key for the truck will start the vehicle but it is not coded for the Explorer ECM. The PATS disabled option on the SCT tuner must disable only part of the system. It is like it is still looking for a coded key but doesn't care if it is the right code. I haven't cut the new key open but I don't think there is a chip installed inside. I will contact Greg and see if he can shed some light on it.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
On pats, most likely you can unplug the transceiver and that would probably kill the light...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
On pats, most likely you can unplug the transceiver and that would probably kill the light...

SVT
I thought about just taping up the light or pulling the bulb for now. After all the bugs are worked out and the truck is up and running I plan to have the PATS married and enabled so it works properly.

School me on the best way to set up a new key fob. The truck has power locks but I only received one key and no fob at the time of purchase.

What is the story on the Ranger rear end being offset to the right? My 98 and my 99 both have the right rear wheel sticking out further then the left.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
For keys you may have to have them programmed. There is a way for a consumer to add a key and/or key fob, but on the keys I've had both success and unsuccess doing the consumer route.
For the key fob, open driver door, press the unlock (dont hold), cycle the key on and off 8 times within 5 seconds, with the last cycle ending in the on position. Press any button on the key fob, door locks should lock then unlock to confirm programming. You can add up to 4 key fobs. After you've added your key fobs, turn the key off, programming complete.
For the key, I believe its 7 cycles of the key with one thats already programmed, and the 8th cycle is with the key your adding, but not 100% on that. I'll have to look it up...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Rick,

Here is my next issue, passenger side O2 connections.

I show the upstream O2 as C172 in the EVTM. I am about 98% sure that is the right circuit number. If I am wrong then the wires I have identified will be incorrect as well.

ECM PIN # 94, 388 YE/LB
ECM PIN # 91, 359/89 GY/RD, OG
ECM PIN # 87, 94 RD/BL
42 conn. PIN # 36, 34 LB/OG

The issue I am having is that when I check ECM PIN # 91 I have (3) GY/RD and (3) OG wires on the trans harness that show continuity for ECM PIN #91. Can I use any of these wires for my 359/89 passenger side O2 connection? Photo coming soon.

When I check ECM PIN #94 I have (4) BL/OG wires on the trans harness that show continuity for ECM PIN #94. Can I use any of these wires for my 388 passenger side O2 connection? Photo coming soon.

When I check ECM PIN #87 I have no wires on the trans harness that show continuity. Where would that feed come from for the passenger side O2 if not through the trans harness?

If needed I can splice into the correct ECM PIN for each of these circuits and run a new line. But since the factory wires are in place on the trans harness it would be easier tapping into them down at the trans.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
This is what I have:
Pin 91, circuit 359 (GY/R) is signal return.
Pin 94 circuit 388 (Y/LB) is heated oxygen sensor #2 heater.
Pin 87 circuit 94 (R/BK) is heated oxygen sensor #2 input.

All these should be found in the trans harness ...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
This is what I have:
Pin 91, circuit 359 (GY/R) is signal return.
Pin 94 circuit 388 (Y/LB) is heated oxygen sensor #2 heater.
Pin 87 circuit 94 (R/BK) is heated oxygen sensor #2 input.

All these should be found in the trans harness ...

SVT
What is the reason behind multiple wires for the same circuit? Do these loop through the harness and pick up the common connections on the other O2 sensors?

I guess I can use any of the wires as long as the continuity runs back to the correct ECM PIN? Agreed?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The circuits for Pin 91 & 94 have several connections, and have a bulk soldered connection in the harness, so yeah, you can connect at any location. 87 should be a single straight to the ecu as its an input circuit...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
The circuits for Pin 91 & 94 have several connections, and have a bulk soldered connection in the harness, so yeah, you can connect at any location. 87 should be a single straight to the ecu as its an input circuit...

SVT
Ok, I understand the bulk soldered connections but just wanted to be sure that was what I was seeing. I am good with that part of it now that you pointed it out.

I am not sure why I couldn't locate the wire for ECM PIN 87. It is RD/BL as listed when it comes off the ECM, but there is no RD/BL wire at the trans harness and none of the available wires show continuity back to ECM PIN 87. Either I had a bad connection at the multimeter and the wire changes color before getting to the bottom of the trans harness or it is not present in the trans harness. The EVTM shows it passing through C133 (a grey 16 pin connector) any idea where that is located?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I dont have my ford disc with me, so you might have to hands on trace it. Your trans harness should have a 34 (ish) pin plug that connects to the engine harness, it might end/change colors there...

SVT

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I dont have my ford disc with me, so you might have to hands on trace it. Your trans harness should have a 34 (ish) pin plug that connects to the engine harness, it might end/change colors there...

SVT
I will get back into it tomorrow afternoon. At the end of the engine/trans harness where it would pick up the small trans harness (36 pin connector) there is no RD/BL wire. I will double check all the wires for continuity just in case I had a bad connection earlier today. It has to be there somewhere but as a different color.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me understand what I was looking at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals