• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

California/New York catalytic converter

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger and trying to figure out how many catalytic converter I suppose to have. Cause mine has 5 and that is too expensive and it's so old and has holes in one but no check engine light...
IMG_20220926_110148524_HDR.jpg

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Does rockauto show them? They should have the updated numbers available if you just search by your truck's info?

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does rockauto show them? They should have the updated numbers available if you just search by your truck's info?
Yes but a 2001 version 1FM-YFM. But too me someone I bought this used put federal emissions instead of carb compliant or I don't know...

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
for that part, i have no idea. and i am surprised none of the other guys have come and answered any ideas.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Check with Walker for direct fit replacements.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since the portion of the sticker you posted seems to show that it conforms to CA emissions, the parts should be CA compliant.

That is the legal answer, if all the information presented is correct.

We are not allowed to provide the less than legal answer to protect the owner and the forum.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I went through installing CARB compliant converters for my Ranger starting 2-3 years ago. It appeared Walker had the best after market ones and OEM is non-existent. I found the Walker system used thinner wall pipe than OEM and was noticeably lighter. It was not a perfect fit, but was close enough that it fit with a little help of some leverage.

Unfortunately, the hanger between the two main cats that connected to the transfer case was poorly designed. and the hanger broke out of the pipe leaving a big hole in the pipe and a loud exhaust. It was replaced under warranty, but that broke again the same way. I got another one under warranty and the way the hanger was attached to the pipe had changed. I still did not trust it and made a stainless steel strap to wrap around that area to reinforce it. I took it to a muffler shop to weld the strap in place. It has been working well for over a year now.

The other problem I had was when the hanger broke out of the pipe the second time, I was on an off-road trip and had to drive at least 50 miles off-road to get to a place for a temporary repair. Then I had to drive about 900 miles to get home to do a permanent repair. When I was replacing the main cats, I discovered the Y pipe had cracked up near the exhaust manifold connection. Apparently, the movement of the exhaust system from the hanger being broken while driving off road cause to much stress on the Y pipe causing it to crack. I think if the wall thickness of the pipe was similar to OEM, it would not have cracked.

It took more than 6 months to get reimbursed for the last failure. Walker would not even reply to my request for warranty coverage. I finally contacted CARB and was able to get in touch with someone that could put some pressure on Walker. Initially, it did not help much, but I kept working with CARB and they apparently found a way to get Walker to listen. I did eventually get reimbursement.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can find a better CARB cat system for a Ranger than Walker. I may have just had bad luck but I hope to neve have to deal with it again, I bought mine through Rock Auto and that was part of the warranty issue. Twice they were out of stock and wanted to replace with a poorer quality unit. Walker was also on back order and had no replacement units. If I had gone to a authorized Walker installation facility the warranty replacement issue may have gone better. Then again maybe not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals