• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CAI

no1mkc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
What bolt on stuff does anyone recommend for more power. Cold Air Intake! bigger exhaust? Any recommendations for a CAI? 02 XLT 4X4 Ranger 4.0 SOCH.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you want to waste time & a couple hundred bucks for BragadociousChromeDecor, then buy+install a custom ColdAirIntake\CAI from K&N or the like.
Factory stock CAI is actually as good as it gets for the V6~4.0L~SOHC, as it already draws cooler air from in front of the RadiatorFrame.
Only recommend replacing stock AirFilter FordMotorCraft# fa1658 = 8i790W*7i580L*2i280H
with a larger Wix# wa6734 = 9i055W*7i598L*2i441H which still fits in the stock CAI FilterBox & maximizes the filters surface area.
Click for more on AirFilters for the V6~4.0L~SOHC.

Last edited:

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, as said the Ranger factory CAI already supplies 200% air flow so takes awhile to get filter dirty enough to effect performance
The "cone" type filters need to be cleaned regularly, just FYI

Many like the "sound" of 3rd party CAI
Ford CAI is quiet
But if you can "hear" air flowing that only means there is now more turbulence in that air flow, so..................

If a bolt-on part helps performance then Ford would have bolted it on, like when they added the CAI with fuel injection, lol, car makers SELL performance

If you run 91 octane in a 4.0l SOHC you will get better performance
The 4.0l SOHC runs 9.7:1 compression ratio, so WILL ping/knock on 87 octane, so it has a Knock Sensor that changes the spark timing to prevent knocking, this reduces power
If you run 91 octane then no reduced power

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad