• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cabin air flow

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I now realize that the A/C is working fine in my 2002 Ranger XLT but I'm just not getting air flow out the dash vents for a few minutes. Instead, there is air flow out the defroster vents. From what I read, this is the default condition for a poor system vacuum.

I removed the vacuum reservoir and checked it with my Mytivac only to find that it holds a vacuum just fine and the check valve is working correctly.

I then put the Mytivac on the vacuum line into the cab (ignition off) but the in-cab system will not hold a vacuum. Should this be expected or does this mean a vacuum leak in the interior air flow control system? If so, any place to start looking?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It should hold vacuum. Most commonly, the plastic vacuum line is cracked or broken somewhere. But it is also possible that one of the diaphragms in the vacuum motor on one of the actuators has a leak.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum diagram seen here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=517&stc=1

If you look up under the glove box near right edge of firewall you will see a white and black vacuum line coming in from engine bay
The Black line is the vacuum from reservoir
The white line is vacuum out to Heater hose by-pass valve, changes to Grey line in engine bay
This white hose is also used to close fresh air vent in MAX AC setting

Picture of inertia switch here, just above it you see the black and white vacuum lines going thru firewall: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/fpi-jpg.198133/

If you fold down glove box door all the way you should see a vacuum hose manifold on the left side, several colored hoses connected together
This comes from the Climate Control panel and then out to the 3 "vacuum motors" in the cab

You can hook up your vacuum gauge and then try the different settings on climate control panel to see if only one or two settings cause loss of vacuum
To narrow down where the leak is

As said the most common leak is the black hard plastic vacuum line that runs in the engine bay to the fire wall, it can melt near exhaust or crack

Climate control Reservoir is same as power brake reservoir, should hold vacuum indefinitely
When you first get in a vehicle and press down on the brake pedal you can feel if it still has vacuum in the booster or if it has been lost over night

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was able to find a "vacuum harness" on ebay which has the two hard vacuum lines - engine to reservoir and reservoir to firewall.

I see this comes with an, ah, bulkhead fitting which inserts through the firewall. Any advice on changing out that bulkhead fitting? Unfortunately this is buried under the A/C so I assume this has to be changed out from under the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals