• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab mounted backup camera?

plainolebill

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is this possible or has anyone done it? I'd also like to be able to turn the bu camera on when driving down the road.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Almost anything is possible. I'm not sure you'll get the view you need from there. Those things usually have such a wide field of view. It will look like you're zoomed way out. Might not be very helpful for lining up in a parking spot or hooking up to a trailer.

They are usually activated by a signal from the reverse light circuit. You can supply a 12volt signal from a switch and turn it in any time you want. If you do that in parallel. With the backup switch, you'll need a diode to preventvturning on the reverse lights when you don't need them.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I bought a fleabay backup camera kit for the escape, the monitor is just a bigger mirror that shows the camera veiw when camera is on. I do wish I had put a switch on it vs tapping into the reverse light bulb for the power. Sometimes when hooking up a trailer its nice to see the veiw when still in D or N, not just R. The camera is on a bracket mounted to the top license plate screws. I think I paid under $50 for the kit, took a few hours to put in. Was funny the first time I was hooking a trailer up & had the hatch open, forgetting the camera was on the hatch, got a good veiw of the sky!
The mirror in this kit has spring loaded clips & just fastens over the stock mirror. A bigger monitor would be nice, theres kits for otr trucks that have a bigger monitor, probably too big for a ranger though. It uses rf signal from camera to the monitor, it would be neat to have a 4x6 monitor & multiple camera for trail use, see just where each tire is , ect. Maybe something like that is already out there.
562F78A3-78D2-4218-A69E-1BBF37B2C74E.jpeg
07CE1221-33D3-456F-A1D8-C633AC810AB0.jpeg
AF9CAC0B-F294-402E-868C-3B8071CB77B4.jpeg

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I don't need one, my truck has mirrors.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Almost anything is possible. I'm not sure you'll get the view you need from there. Those things usually have such a wide field of view. It will look like you're zoomed way out. Might not be very helpful for lining up in a parking spot or hooking up to a trailer.

They are usually activated by a signal from the reverse light circuit. You can supply a 12volt signal from a switch and turn it in any time you want. If you do that in parallel. With the backup switch, you'll need a diode to preventvturning on the reverse lights when you don't need them.
I’d use a single pole double throw switch. Wire the common to the unit, one of the outputs to the reverse light circuit, and the other to key on 12 volt. That would eliminate the need for a diode, give you an always on option, an always off option, and a reverse option.
I bought a fleabay backup camera kit for the escape, the monitor is just a bigger mirror that shows the camera veiw when camera is on. I do wish I had put a switch on it vs tapping into the reverse light bulb for the power. Sometimes when hooking up a trailer its nice to see the veiw when still in D or N, not just R. The camera is on a bracket mounted to the top license plate screws. I think I paid under $50 for the kit, took a few hours to put in. Was funny the first time I was hooking a trailer up & had the hatch open, forgetting the camera was on the hatch, got a good veiw of the sky!
The mirror in this kit has spring loaded clips & just fastens over the stock mirror. A bigger monitor would be nice, theres kits for otr trucks that have a bigger monitor, probably too big for a ranger though. It uses rf signal from camera to the monitor, it would be neat to have a 4x6 monitor & multiple camera for trail use, see just where each tire is , ect. Maybe something like that is already out there.
View attachment 77910View attachment 77911View attachment 77912
Our MRAP has a monitor with 3 camera inputs (reverse, left side, and right side). The side ones are controlled by the blinkers. When you put the right blinker on, the monitor switches to the right camera… etc. The rear is obviously controlled by the reverse light circuit.

The thing freaks out when you put the hazards on. It just hyper flashes between the left and right cameras.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can mount a camera anywhere you want

If you have a dedicated display for the camera just turn the display on or off, lol

And if using a radio units display the yes, as said, you could use a switch and diode to trigger 12v IN to the unit to activate the rear camera display but that can turn off the radio(MUTE) when that happens so check the specs on your radio

Reverse switch 12v------------>|------/--------Radio
Dash switch 12v----------------------/

>| is the diode, which is a one-way valve for electricity
> indicates direction 12v will travel
| indicates blocks incoming 12v from that direction

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals