• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab gets hot

GirlsLoveTrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ranger V6 2.9L. The cab gets particularly hot in the summer, and it feels as though heat is coming from the tranny housing under the gear shifters. I'm being told it could be my exhaust manifold, and to get it checked. My exhaust was done a year ago, and it always passes air care, even with this is it possible that it is the exhaust manifold? I was thinking of putting an insulating wrap over it inside the truck so when I go camping I'm not sweating more than I already do in this heat in a non-a/c ride. Any suggestions?:icon_welder:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Install ac

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Next time you go somewhere hop under the truck and look at the exhaust before shutting it down. Make sure nothing is glowing red.

If all that is ok pull on the shifter boot and check the insulation. Tears or deterioration of the foam pad under the boot, or even the boot itself can cause a lot of heat and noise issues. When I first put my new trans in I didn't have a boot, bezel, or insulator, but I did have a 100 mile drive home in December. Had to roll the windows down because the big hole in the floor was letting so much heat in off the exhaust and trans.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cover your windows while parked...I've just started doing this and it makes a huge difference...I try to park with the back window facing the sun and cover only the back window...if you have those opening rear windows in an ext cab pop one or both of them open also...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Next time you go somewhere hop under the truck and look at the exhaust before shutting it down. Make sure nothing is glowing red.

If all that is ok pull on the shifter boot and check the insulation. Tears or deterioration of the foam pad under the boot, or even the boot itself can cause a lot of heat and noise issues. When I first put my new trans in I didn't have a boot, bezel, or insulator, but I did have a 100 mile drive home in December. Had to roll the windows down because the big hole in the floor was letting so much heat in off the exhaust and trans.
I agree.

Have you ever driven a 2.9?
I had a '90 with a 2.9L, backed by an A4LD and ran down the highway at 70 with the A/C blasting; it was nice. Though the tinted windows did help a bit for keeping the sun out.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had a '90 with a 2.9L, backed by an A4LD and ran down the highway at 70 with the A/C blasting; it was nice. Though the tinted windows did help a bit for keeping the sun out.
I do not much care to run the AC in my bronco II. It just seems to suck so much power out of the engine. It doesn't make it undriveable, but you can just tell you are loosing something. I use it in town, but once I hit the highway the AC goes off and the windows go down.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's odd that you have that issue with your AC. My old Ranger had a 2.9, A4LD and AC and I never noticed any difference with it on or off. Didn't seem to affect gas mileage at all either.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's odd that you have that issue with your AC. My old Ranger had a 2.9, A4LD and AC and I never noticed any difference with it on or off. Didn't seem to affect gas mileage at all either.
Well I think I need to just suck it up and rebuild the system. I think the compressor has issues.

Gilbee01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would definitely look into rebuilding the compressor got the ac but if the heat is coming up from the floor I would also look for the leaks in the exhaust . Mine had a muffler crack on the top and my cab floor used to get really warm on the summer in town. Just go threw your system with a fine tune comb and look for a reason. Happy hunting

-gil-

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
A LOT of heat comes over the top of the transmission....(could be leaking exhaust or just summer heat---like the guys said even on a cool day heat will come up thru the floorboard)

My A/T has an aftermarket floor shifter and even the shifter metal gets very warm!

So I put dynamat foil-backed insulation over the whole floorboard & an extra rubber boot over the rubber boot that came with the shifter....(next I' gonna stuff the primary boot with some type of insulation foam).

it helped out a lot....but at 95+ with no A/C.....covering the floormat with ice cubes is the only solution... :icon_rofl:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It's summer time. It gets hot....just install a nice little fan in the cab and enjoy the breeze!!! Do check to see that nothing is glowing cherry red before you shut off the ignition. Do it at dark time so you can see better if something is glowing, Bro!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have the insulation around my 4wd shifter and it does let in A LOT of heat in the summer. You might check that, it may have deteriorated with age.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever driven a 2.9?
Mine has a 4.0, during the summer between the engine and 100+ temperatures in TX I could feel the heat from the floor. Once I installed the ac it stopped being a problem.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A LOT of heat comes over the top of the transmission....(could be leaking exhaust or just summer heat---like the guys said even on a cool day heat will come up thru the floorboard)

My A/T has an aftermarket floor shifter and even the shifter metal gets very warm!

So I put dynamat foil-backed insulation over the whole floorboard & an extra rubber boot over the rubber boot that came with the shifter....(next I' gonna stuff the primary boot with some type of insulation foam).

it helped out a lot....but at 95+ with no A/C.....covering the floormat with ice cubes is the only solution... :icon_rofl:
As usual DG is right on it. My Jeep has a Chevy 350/700r4 in it and LOTS of HOT air comes in through the shifter boot area. My shifter gets plenty hot too. And yes, I have a transmission cooler. But that doesn't help the fact it just gets hot under there. Mine has some heat shielding between the trans and floor, but it doesn't do a whole lot.
I have discovered that with the windows up, no hot air comes up around the shifter, but roll em down and the furnace kicks on. I am planning on installing a second boot upside down and securing it to the shifter as low as I can get it to seal off any hot air from coming through the opening. The dynamat stuff works. Also I think there's one called Dragon Skin that does a good job too. I need this stuff in mine, just haven't saved up the $$ or the time. Best bet would be to put it on both sides of the floor if you can. I don't know how well it would adhere to the underside of the truck though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals