• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CA Mandates all trucks must be electric beginning in 2024

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've said this before, what is the purpose of an electric vehicle when the power required to charge said vehicle is coming from coal anyway? Unless your grid is powered by nuclear energy all you've done by using an electric vehicle is shift the emissions from one point to another. I think things like that should be factored into decisions before making laws about this crap.
Coal is less than a quarter of electrical production now. Natural gas is far greater, and the rest is mostly a mix of renewables and nuclear.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Coal is less than a quarter of electrical production now. Natural gas is far greater, and the rest is mostly a mix of renewables and nuclear.
I realize this. But for example, my power still comes from coal plants. Im sure plenty of places in California are too. So a statewide law doesn't make sense to me if the state/federal government isn't first insuring that all the areas they want to require these things are able to charge those vehicles cleanly. My point is simply that the law should only be used if, when, and where clean power is guaranteed. The lawmakers shouldn't shift burden to the consumer without making things green on their end first.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've said this before, what is the purpose of an electric vehicle when the power required to charge said vehicle is coming from coal anyway? Unless your grid is powered by nuclear energy all you've done by using an electric vehicle is shift the emissions from one point to another. I think things like that should be factored into decisions before making laws about this crap. California wants all these electric vehicles but have they prepared the electric grid to handle the extra load or ensured its clean enough that it won't be producing just as much emissions as the trucks themselves did?
What, expect people to use science and reason and facts and stuff to make decisions instead of emotion and fear and feel-good warm fuzzies? Ridiculous.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I realize this. But for example, my power still comes from coal plants. Im sure plenty of places in California are too.
CA pretty much leads the nation in alternative energy production. As of 2018, 0.15% of the electricity produced in the state, and 3.3% of the electricity consumed by the state comes from coal. This stuff is easy to google:

Coal is going away quickly all over the US. It's cheaper and cleaner to use natural gas now. You getting power from coal now doesn't mean you're likely to get your power from coal in 10 years, or when laws like this will become more common. In Mid-2019, "Renewables" generated more electricity in the US than coal, not because renewables are growing like crazy (they're increasing, but it's not crazy growth), but more because coal is going away quickly:

We have this same debate every time anything related to EVs comes up. The science is pretty clear that even with higher environmental impacts during production, and even with electricity generated from coal, EVs are still better for human health and the environment in pretty short order thanks to the lack of tailpipe emissions doing damage on a local level:

In Florida, an EV (including charging) has similar environmental impact to a (non-existant) ICE that gets 58mpg

Here's a cool comparison tool that will allow you to compare an ICE, a PHEV and a BEV in your specific location to see which might be better for your specific power generation source:

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
You are messing up a perfectly good fantasy with facts, please stop that

Electricity comes out of the wall, so clean energy, just makes sense that an electric vehicle would be clean as well, "they" just need to add a wall inside somewhere, DUH

Sometimes reality is just plain inconveinent, so ignore it, works for me :)
Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Maybe more windmill farms will be filling the skyline of California in the future

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW I live just north of the big "transcontinental railroad"

Coal trains are way down, almost getting kind of rare to hear/see a train go by in general anymore. When I was a kid it seemed like every half hour there was a loaded coal train going east or an empty one going west. When they had two lines the whole way you might see both at the same time.

Our power is from coal though, they keep adding to the plant making it bigger so I doubt they are going to close it any time soon.

Maybe more windmill farms will be filling the skyline of California in the future
Sadly... probably.

On a clear night before I turn onto my road the horizon is full of blinking red lights from the stupid things like 40-50 miles away.

My dad and brother had a really neat bluff they would check out when they went antelope hunting in Wyoming every year. They dozed the top 2/3's off and made it a windmill farm a few years ago.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW I live just north of the big "transcontinental railroad"

Coal trains are way down, almost getting kind of rare to hear/see a train go by in general anymore. When I was a kid it seemed like every half hour there was a loaded coal train going east or an empty one going west. When they had two lines the whole way you might see both at the same time.

Our power is from coal though, they keep adding to the plant making it bigger so I doubt they are going to close it any time soon.
A lot of coal plants are converted to natural gas rather than torn down. It's way cheaper and easier than building all new or getting permission from regulators to build new.

In a related note, watching freight trends like that can be pretty interesting. The tracks near me have gotten much quieter in recent months, but are beginning to pick back up. When times were good, the trains heading south were either grain or bulk steel and the trains heading north were all vehicles. Now they seem to be pretty random collections of whatever.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is a fundamental and undeniable problem with using electric vehicles.

Electric motors is no goes vroom.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, need to put cards in the spokes to get back the vroom, oh and spoked wheels of course

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought they had to add a noise for the blind people?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why would the drivers need a noise?

Oh, you mean blind pedestrians, oops

I thought you meant drivers in my city, I swear they license sight impaired people here :)

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
In a related note, watching freight trends like that can be pretty interesting. The tracks near me have gotten much quieter in recent months, but are beginning to pick back up. When times were good, the trains heading south were either grain or bulk steel and the trains heading north were all vehicles. Now they seem to be pretty random collections of whatever.
The what?

@Dirtman

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Why would the drivers need a noise?

Oh, you mean blind pedestrians, oops

I thought you meant drivers in my city, I swear they license sight impaired people here :)
I'm pretty sure it's just a country wide "brain impaired" instant licencing program the people that aren't brain impaired can't access or view, most likely crosses the boarder... I've been around a bit and it seems to be everywhere...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

is this even possible?
As a truck driver....

All this is going to do is drive up costs of products in CA.

Why? No one will deliver there.

Battery power would have to come A LONG WAY to get even half way to what a diesel is capable of. I can run my ISX 15 1500 miles between 20 minute fillups.

Not to mention the 80,000 lb gross weight limits would have to be majorly raised inorder for the trucks to carry enough battery to even make it 1/2 that range (in the real world)

Take into account our already aged bridges/roads....thats not going to happen.

CA is shooting themselves in the nuts....like usual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals