• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CA: Looking for someone to talk to about BAR approved Engine change/swap process

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well I tore it down. I am very happy with what i found. Looks like someone was doing regular maintenance on this Expo because the inside was nice and clean. Standard rods, mains and bores. Unmolested. I did however snap 3 bolts on the water pump and front cover. I'm going to put new rods, mains and rings and seal everything up and get ready to yank the 4.0 out of the ranger.
That is good, I’ve slowed down in my swap, time has been very tight for me. I was trying to get the timing cover but it looks like it’s ceased on the broken bolts to the water pump ports. I’m debating taking it to someone for a total refresh, but that would cost more than I want to spend at this point. Ideally, I want to get through inspection with this motor then once I have the BAR sticker build another engine for it.

Hate For State

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO
Transmission
Automatic
Any update??? I'm currently gathering info to make my 5.0L conversion CA smog legal.

tahiti429

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1993
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been really busy with other stuff. Im about 90% done with my swap. still need to have a driveshaft made and exhaust done.

Hate For State

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO
Transmission
Automatic
Good to know. I just got approved by my smog ref yesterday to move forward with my conversion. Looking forward to more updates on your progress!

tahiti429

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1993
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. im almost done. I started my expo swapped ranger for the first time last night. Im sure the trick or treaters in my neighborhood thought what the hell is making all that noise. I was shocked when it fired right up. I still have quite a few issues that need attention. The drive shaft and exhaust being the most important. I have a question about the drive shaft. I would like to eliminate the carrier bearing and the cross member and run a one piece driveshaft but i don't know if i can. will the length be too long? If i cut the cross member out the exhaust will be much easier. Its a super cab and the one piece driveline would be about 5 inches longer than the stock two piece driveline.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Ok. im almost done. I started my expo swapped ranger for the first time last night. Im sure the trick or treaters in my neighborhood thought what the hell is making all that noise. I was shocked when it fired right up. I still have quite a few issues that need attention. The drive shaft and exhaust being the most important. I have a question about the drive shaft. I would like to eliminate the carrier bearing and the cross member and run a one piece driveshaft but i don't know if i can. will the length be too long? If i cut the cross member out the exhaust will be much easier. Its a super cab and the one piece driveline would be about 5 inches longer than the stock two piece driveline.
I swapped to a one piece driveshaft. There should be one that fits. There are a few articles out there about it. Having one made shouldnt be astronomically expensive either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals