• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C4 fluid capacity?

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
So i have added ONE quart to the torque converter.....and THREE quarts to my case fill C4....and fluid is already dumping all over my garage floor. Doesnt the C4 take like 10 quarts?

Truck isnt running yet, but thought I would add fluid because its one less thing to do when I start her up for the first time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is this transmission dry? Is the dipstick tube installed?

C4 does hole 9-10 quarts, but in almost all automatics 50-75% of the fluid capacity is retained in case and clutch passages and only comes back out if the valve body is taken off or the trans disassembled. So only getting 4-quarts in sounds about right if you didn't have the tube in. The first time you start the engine the trans is "overfilled" and those passages are empty, the pump then circulates the fluid up through them and the level in the pan goes down. That's why an automatic will shift stupid for the first few shifts, until all those passages are filled and bleed the air out.

At the factory the dipstick tube hole is plugged with a little yellow bobber and the fluid is pumped in via the return cooler line port. When the trans is installed the dipstick tube is rammed in and pops the bobber into the pan and seals the hole right away.

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
ADSM yes i have a flexible Lokar dipstick installed, thats how i was filling it...so basically i just have to wait until i start the truck for the first time and add accordingly? Thanks for the information

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's how I'd do it.

Last C4 I dealt with I added 2 to the converter, three to the pan, started it, and then added as needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals