• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C-Clip Eliminators VS Full Float

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I've been trying to do some research but have come up short on what I want to know about these two things. I've seen C-clip eliminator kits for the 8.8's, and was wondering what they do, as compared to a full float rear axle. As I understand it, in a full floating rear axle the only thing the axle shafts are used for is turning the tires, as compared to a c-clip rear end where the axle shafts actually support some of the weight of the vehicle, as well as turn the tires. Am I correct about the two things I mentioned above?

I've seen the warn full float kit for the 8.8's, and was wondering what the difference was between that kit and the c-clip eliminator kits? Are they pretty much the same thing?

I've been working on my dual wheel conversion on my ranger, and have everything pretty much buttoned up, but I'm worrying about the rear axle. I've got an 8.8 out of an explorer I'm going to swap in, but was wondering if I should buy a c-clip eliminator kit. On the other hand, I was contemplating buying a full float Sterling out of an F-250, and just adding 2" spacers (I'm using dually rims for the conversion with the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern). What is your opinion?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A c-clip eliminator kit simply changes the method of shaft retention in the housing, it does not change it from semi-float to full-float.

To change the 8.8 to full-float, you would need to add spindles and separate wheel hubs onto it (like how the F-250 axle is set up).

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Should change it to semi float right? the weight on the axleshaft is then handled by a bearing cup at the end of the axle when setup with the eliminators...

eliminating the C-clip doesnt make it a semifloater.... as the Corp14 9.5 SF axles C-clip... But the bearings on the end should...

Semi-float fastens the wheel directly to the flange on the outboard end of the axleshaft, and a single bearing supports the outer end of the shaft. (Pulled from quadratec)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Huh??

Semi-float only means the shaft supports the weight of the vehicle on a single bearing. This doesn't change with eliminating the c-clips.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup. Somebody got their wires crossed. The stock 8.8 is a semi floater. A full floater has two bearing sets on a spindle which handle the load. All duallies SHOULD be full floater.

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, thanks guys. The more and more I research this subject, the more and more I'm leaning towards swapping in the Sterling.

The only thing I can see posing a problem is those gigantic brake drums. Would my stock master cylinder be able to make enough pressure to move those wheel cylinders?

Luckily, they only came with three different gear options, so chances are pretty good of finding one with 4.10's already installed, saving another headache.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals