• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C-3 clunk then nothing

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My tranny just after shifting into 3rd gear made a clunk not even very loud and then nothing. It shifts ok at least it goes into park the neutral switch works so it isn`t in the linkage. I was going to pull it anyway to reseal so any suggestions on what to look for as I break it down to see if it is salvagable. I have been through many standard gearboxes but never pulled a auto tranny apart. It just stopped working with no warning whatever. The oil level is a little over full so when I pull the pan I will see if it is full of shavings or not I just never had a auto tranny ever just stop working. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Well I finally pulled the tranny and got it all stripped down. I`m gonna need another tranny for parts I have about 4 hrs pulling it and stripping the tranny down and about 6 hrs looking for parts and info. Now I have to get a used tranny hopefully with the parts I need. If anybody wants to take on rebuilding a automatic transmission DO NOT pull the valve body apart all at once. I didnt realize there were so many valves and different springs. Once I get the other tranny my plan is to pull the valves one at a time and match parts to install into the clean one. There was alot of black greasy looking oil in the servos and valve body I can speculate on why it quit running but I think it is oil related. The only bad parts I found were the two thrust washers for the one way sprague more a noise maker and one of the valves was stuck. Does anyone here know of a good place to get used parts or have a C-3 out of a ranger or B-II for parts. I dont believe it matters if it is a 4X4 the internals are the same. PM me I live in WA and will pay for shipping if reasonable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals