• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

C-3 clunk then nothing

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My tranny just after shifting into 3rd gear made a clunk not even very loud and then nothing. It shifts ok at least it goes into park the neutral switch works so it isn`t in the linkage. I was going to pull it anyway to reseal so any suggestions on what to look for as I break it down to see if it is salvagable. I have been through many standard gearboxes but never pulled a auto tranny apart. It just stopped working with no warning whatever. The oil level is a little over full so when I pull the pan I will see if it is full of shavings or not I just never had a auto tranny ever just stop working. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Well I finally pulled the tranny and got it all stripped down. I`m gonna need another tranny for parts I have about 4 hrs pulling it and stripping the tranny down and about 6 hrs looking for parts and info. Now I have to get a used tranny hopefully with the parts I need. If anybody wants to take on rebuilding a automatic transmission DO NOT pull the valve body apart all at once. I didnt realize there were so many valves and different springs. Once I get the other tranny my plan is to pull the valves one at a time and match parts to install into the clean one. There was alot of black greasy looking oil in the servos and valve body I can speculate on why it quit running but I think it is oil related. The only bad parts I found were the two thrust washers for the one way sprague more a noise maker and one of the valves was stuck. Does anyone here know of a good place to get used parts or have a C-3 out of a ranger or B-II for parts. I dont believe it matters if it is a 4X4 the internals are the same. PM me I live in WA and will pay for shipping if reasonable.