• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BW1354 TC; Can't part from Xmission extension.

KnuckleBuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Resuming clutch job started years ago. Attempted to remove Xmission/TC as a unit; NoJoy. Now trying to separate TC from Xmission, also NoJoy. Currently Xmission pulled from engine, and trying to separate TC from same, but it won't budge. Not quite lined up w/ engine, but enough to refasten to Xmission mount on Xmember just forward of TC, hoping that resistance would help. Was hoping once reconnected to mount, I could rotate TC to break gasket-hold, NoJoy. Just found some pics that appear to show an alignment pin, probably preventing that rotation. I guess I'll go back to pulling, but I had already tried driving a shaft between TC and Xmission extension, and that held quite fast. Any suggestions? Torch, maybe? Of course, both drive shafts already disconnected. '96 Mazda B3000 4x4 Ext Cab 5-spd manual, electric TC. Hubs converted from auto to manual years ago.

Thanx.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Do you have all 5 bolts loose? They are mated with silicone which can be somewhat hard to get apart with that much surface area. There should be some areas to pry them apart to help with this. To make it more fun the manual transmission has seals there so it will be dry (auto trans does not so there's some oil) which could have some rust on the splines making it harder.

KnuckleBuster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Do you have all 5 bolts loose? They are mated with silicone which can be somewhat hard to get apart with that much surface area. There should be some areas to pry them apart to help with this. To make it more fun the manual transmission has seals there so it will be dry (auto trans does not so there's some oil) which could have some rust on the splines making it harder.
All bolts out. I'm thinking between the silicone/gasket and rusty shaft/spline (presumed) it's tougher than me. Of course, having disconnected from engine didn't help as there's not much resistance to my pulling. Cross-member isn't fully secured to frame, either. one end free hanging on propping 2x4 yields a very spongy opposition. Thx for reply.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It might be helpful to secure the transmission mount and transmission so that you aren't trying to pull against a moving object.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, at least ratchet strap over the top of the frame rails under the transmission and pull the transmission into the body, should help.

If you get something reliable to pry against between the transmission and transfer case (there should be a spot, it's been like 5 years since I've had my T case out so I don't remember), take a 3lb dead blow hammer and give the T case a wack while there's pressure, and for good measure rotate the rear output a little and continue wacking and prying...

If memory serves I'm pretty sure I've taken a couple apart that had rust powder in the splines, but I don't live in the rust belt so it was minor...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals