• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bw1354 shift motor questions

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so my bosses son has a 95 ranger 4.0 4x4 and the people he got it from had removed the shift motor and left it locked in 4h, this weekend it jumped into neutral and would not shift back into anything. I removed the transfer case and fixed that issue and put a new shift motor on that I had at my shop but the wiring on the truck is cobbed. I can jump it to go into 2h and 4l but he wants it just jumped to 4h and lock the hubs if he needs 4x4. I can just remove it and set it that way but im feeling lazy.

Thanks, Rob

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I should be able to figure it out with the wiring, right now the only wires that I know for sure are the 2 main ones on the motor, I can put power and ground and run the motor full lock either way depending on which way they are hooked up but I want it to stop on 4h not go full lock to 2h or 4l

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I grew tired of the prissy performance of the electric shift transfer case in my 94 Ranger.
Went to the wrecking yard, got a manual case with all the little stuff for 50.00.

Came with a 1 year warranty.
Took me a 6 pack ( was 90* out), and about 3 hours.
When I was finished, I had full function, just like factory.
Dash lights worked like they were supposed to, and I was always certain my truck was going to work as it was supposed to.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I should be able to figure it out with the wiring, right now the only wires that I know for sure are the 2 main ones on the motor, I can put power and ground and run the motor full lock either way depending on which way they are hooked up but I want it to stop on 4h not go full lock to 2h or 4l
That's what the other wires are for on the shift motor.
Under the disc shape part is a "contact disc" that rotates with the motor.
The 4 wires contacts on this disc "open" and "close" connections as the disc turns, this tells the controller when to turn off the power to the motor, for 2wd, 4wd and 4wd low.

And there is the 4WD module, it is just 2 relays in a box, controller uses those to reverse power on the motors wires, +/- or -/+ depending on which way it wants motor to turn.
So the 2 motor wires go to the 4WD module
Other 5 wires go to controller

Brown wire is that 5th wire it operates the transfer case Clutch when shifting, also powered by a relay controlled by the controller.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals