• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BW 1354 Output flange

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Haven’t been around for a bit. Gone through a few upgrades a few years ago. Don’t think I have posted a pic of the Rig on TRS in some time, so I will include a few below. From our 2-week trip to Moab in 2019.

Anyway, I will be upgrading my rear drive shaft here this winter. Had been running 1310 double cardan for years. Now that I have been running the 4.0 not a 2.9 and 42” tires, she does not like it. I don’t blow joints, but after a few runs the needles crush. I hear the squeak, then swap in my spare. Replace the bad joint in the now out of the rig spare, then repeat the process. All joints are Spicer colds, 1310 is just at its limits.

Super Duty front shafts are plentiful, buddy has a few to give me so going to upgrade to that. 1350 double cardan that will be shortened by me to the length needed.
The stock rear T case output flange has the correct pilot diameter 2”, but the OD is to small to fit the larger Duty pattern. Was hoping I could just drill and tap the new pattern in.

Does anyone know if any year BW 1354 has a larger OD output flange? Could nab it up at the junk yard. If not, I already have a plan of attack to machine up an adaptor plate on the lathe at work.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't have an answer for you. But your truck looks great.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a 1354 flange for my 1350 off of eBay when I change my B2 driveshaft. I can check it, but I think the 1310 joint barely fits it if I remember correctly.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Truck looks awesome, good to see you back.

I haven't seen anything other than the "small" style 1310 flange on the back of a 1354 but I will admit I also haven't dealt much with anything past 1998. Curious if you could cut out the outer part of a flange from another truck that has the bolt pattern you need, machine down a 1354 rear yoke and weld the two pieces together. Adapter plate sounds like a solid plan too.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are larger rear flanges for 1354 transfer cases for the 1330 series U-joint. I found that out when I swapped in a 1 piece '03 driveshaft into my '91... Had to swap the flange from the '03 1354m to the '91 1354m I was using to bolt the driveshaft in. I'd imagine the change took place in 1998 with the new gen and introduction of the 4.0ohc engine, but any 2000s 4.0 ranger should have the 1330 flange.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
There are larger rear flanges for 1354 transfer cases for the 1330 series U-joint. I found that out when I swapped in a 1 piece '03 driveshaft into my '91... Had to swap the flange from the '03 1354m to the '91 1354m I was using to bolt the driveshaft in. I'd imagine the change took place in 1998 with the new gen and introduction of the 4.0ohc engine, but any 2000s 4.0 ranger should have the 1330 flange.
The change took place starting with 2001 trucks (all with aluminum rear driveshafts). However around that same time there was also a TSB for a driveline clunk on '98-'00 trucks having steel driveshafts, which involved replacing the driveshaft with the 2001-up parts. So it is possible to come across the larger flange on some '98-'00 trucks as well.

Truck's looking good Todd. Good to see you around again. :beer:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Looked into this a bit this past week. Tried to find the bolt pattern spread on the 2001 up output flange on the internet. Was difficult to find good info. From what I could gather it seemed as though the bolt pattern was larger but not as large as the super duty cv flange. Also tried getting info on AWD cases from newer explorers. Figured they would have larger flanges and maybe the same output spline. Again couldn’t find much definitive info.

Went to the local junkyard this morning to do some investigation via pulling flanges. First vehicle I looked into was an 04 explorer. Not sure what t case that was in it? Was not a 1354. Measured the bolt spread and it matched what the duty shaft is, so figured I would pull it and see what spline it was. Then maybe turn it down or something and weld it to the other flange or flanges I was planning on pulling. Pulled it and couldn’t believe it was the same diameter, spline and sealing surface o.d. So my search was over there.

Anyway once I get to actually integrating this 1350 duty shaft into the rig I will post some pictures in this thread. There is a little bit of modification to these components that will be needed, but all in all this will be a fairly easy swap.

Thanks everyone!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That is good to know, although I wish there was a fixed output for a BW 44-06 so I could use a dual cardan on my Explorer, but if I make things appropriately it should work fine with the splined output.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Won’t be getting to this until later this winter.......

My winter wrenching on the rig kind of snowballed. I am currently in the process of building my rear sterling as a steer axle.......

Figured I may post a build thread detailing not only the rear steering sterling but the drive shaft upgrade as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals