• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying rims online.......so confused

matt2003333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
When i punch my trucks information into the wheel finder on all online website (2003 Ranger Edge standard cab rear wheel drive) it says 15x 7 rim and min offset is -6 and max offset is 25.Then displays a large variety of rims to choose from.I called one online store for support and the guy tells me i have to have an offset of 12 or it wont work and that those other sizes are for lifted trucks. If this is true only 2 out of the 50 rims displayed will fit.This makes no sense to me?Is he right or will any of the other rims with offsets from -6 to 25 fit?Thanks
Here is one site https://www.partsengine.ca/wheelssearch.aspx?RequestedPage=wheelsearch&Make=Ford&Model=Ranger&DriveType=RWD&Year=2003&Body=2 Dr Standard Cab Pickup&Option=&Submodel=Edge&ID=&ProductID=

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Offset is only part of the equation. Backspacing and wheel width are also important, not to mention overall tire width and diameter.

That offset value is in millimeters. So it's a very small value. You have some room to play with that. The salesman is being conservative to cover his own butt so you don't pick something wild and then try to make a return or become unhappy with your choice and blame him.

Here is some info you may find helpful. There is also another article in the "how to tech" section of this site that talks about wheels and tires and includes pictures of different trucks with various wheel/tire combinations.

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
To add to above, when your picking new rims, keep in mind your overall tire diameter for drivability, you can go bigger on rim diameter & smaller on side wall height ( with factory suspension cornering gets better, but with smaller than 45 series side walls ride starts to get very harsh ). Personally I ran 255/45/17 on the front & 275/40/17 on the rear on 94 Cobra Pace car rims, no spacers, no special alignments & well over 400,000 miles on both Rangers, also considering how they were driven each set of tires lasted longer than stated tire mileage ( big tires/light truck ) started with B.F. Goodrich kdws till they discontinued, now using Nitto motivo's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals