• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying A Shotgun

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I decided to wait awhile on the shotgun. Instead I will be buying a compound bow. Ive been wanting a bow for awhile now and decided to finally pull the trigger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I decided to wait awhile on the shotgun. Instead I will be buying a compound bow. Ive been wanting a bow for awhile now and decided to finally pull the trigger.
What kind of a bow are you looking at?

Having not shot any of them I am between the G5 Quest Rogue, PSE Brute X and Bear Legion and in that order. They are not like a gun though where one size pretty much fits all, how they feel to you (and only you) when you shoot them is huge. And you can pay just about as much as you want to as well.

Thinking I may be updating from my current 10-15 year old PSE Baby G Force... now that I own my own hunk of land and can virtually hang a tree stand in my backyard I might give bow hunting a whirl.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm getting a Hoyt Rampage. I got to shoot one at a pro shop and really liked it. I wasn't a fan of the price though but got lucky and found a great deal on a used 2013 model. Bow hunting is something I've always wanted to do so I'm pretty excited about it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting a Hoyt Rampage. I got to shoot one at a pro shop and really liked it. I wasn't a fan of the price though but got lucky and found a great deal on a used 2013 model. Bow hunting is something I've always wanted to do so I'm pretty excited about it.
Hoyt makes a good bow, it is hard to tell what kind of deals you are going to bump into when you get to shopping for a bow. :D

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I stay away from dual cam bows, I like the solo cam one I have. It may be 12 years old but I can still hit a quarter at 20 yards with a broad head or field tip without having to retune it.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I stay away from dual cam bows, I like the solo cam one I have. It may be 12 years old but I can still hit a quarter at 20 yards with a broad head or field tip without having to retune it.
It is a matter of preference. My cousin shoots a 10yo Hoyt... and he shoots it very well. He has a room full of various mounts to prove it. I think he got it when it was a year old too.

There would be a learning curve I am sure but I wouldn't be afraid of a bow with two cams.

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If you ever do get back to looking at shotguns, get the 870 :icon_thumby: The benelli is too plasticy IMO and mossbergs are built loosely, nothing is worse than mossbergs rattling forearm. I believe the 870 might be the most realiable and reasonably priced shotgun ever built. But anyways, good choice going with the bow, they're a ton of fun. I shoot a Bowtech and never looked back :icon_hornsup:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nothing is worse than mossbergs rattling forearm.
As long as you are only talking about petty "problems" that don't really effect the performance of the gun.

If I had a dime for every time my forearm rattled and scared away a deer... I would owe you money.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my mossberg is a home defense gun. if all the person that breaks into my house hears is the forearm rattling, he should consider himself lucky.

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
As long as you are only talking about petty "problems" that don't really effect the performance of the gun.

If I had a dime for every time my forearm rattled and scared away a deer... I would owe you money.
I never said anything bad about the mossberg's performance, and I really can't because I've only shot them a few times. But I don't consider a rattling forearm a petty problem. IMO, they just look and feel cheap, but then again, they're a cheaply priced gun. That is just personal preference, but then again, I'd rather be shooting a browning A5, personal preference :icon_hornsup:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never said anything bad about the mossberg's performance, and I really can't because I've only shot them a few times. But I don't consider a rattling forearm a petty problem. IMO, they just look and feel cheap, but then again, they're a cheaply priced gun. That is just personal preference, but then again, I'd rather be shooting a browning A5, personal preference :icon_hornsup:
Both the 870 and 500 are on the cheap side of things, goes with the territory. They are also both very good guns.

IMO they both kinda look cheap, Remington's Express with the flat finish and weird striped wood. Kinda off topic but it really gripes me they gave the Marlin 336W the same exact treatment. The newer 500's with the really bland featureless wood are pretty boring.

My 500 is old enough to have very pretty walnut, kinda boring engraving on the receiver and a gold trigger. I got it used in 1996.

I was playing with a new Winchester the other day at Scheels, price wasn't bad, made in Turkey of course, and synthetic stock/forearm. Action felt nice and it felt nice at the shoulder... I highly doubt I would ever be able to dig up a slug barrel for it though.

Not really sure I would fuss too much for a different shotgun. What I have works well, I would rather put the money towards something a little funner... like a nice levergun or a pistol.

Last edited:

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Both the 870 and 500 are on the cheap side of things, goes with the territory. They are also both very good guns.

IMO they both kinda look cheap, Remington's Express with the flat finish and weird striped wood. Kinda off topic but it really gripes me they gave the Marlin 336W the same exact treatment. The newer 500's with the really bland featureless wood are pretty boring.

My 500 is old enough to have very pretty walnut, kinda boring engraving on the receiver and a gold trigger. I got it used in 1996.

I was playing with a new Winchester the other day at Scheels, price wasn't bad, made in Turkey of course, and synthetic stock/forearm. Action felt nice and it felt nice at the shoulder... I highly doubt I would ever be able to dig up a slug barrel for it though.
I agree with you there, neither the 870 or 500 is never appealing. I was looking a used Winchester SXP, the new winchester pump, at gander mountain a while back, seemed like a decent gun. Had synthetic stocks and a real short barrel, home defense model or whatever. If I remember right they wanted under $300, which didn't seem too bad to me. Sucks that it seems like everything is going to cheap wood or synthetic unless you want to pay big $$, I'll just stick with my old used up brownings.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You can be sure that you will ALWAYS be able to get parts for either a Remington870 or a Mossberg500

you cannot be sure on a Winchester particularly any "new" model

The last Winchester pump that was worth a damn was the model 12
and Winchester has been fumbling for commercial success on a pump
shotgun ever since they discontinued the model 12.

You'd think they'd "Get a clue" and reintroduce it...

If you want my opinion there is the Remington 870 and then there is everything else.

And what I have to say about "everything else" is they are NOT a Remington 870
and never will be.

As previously stated, Remington has made more than 10MILLION of them.
they must be doing something right.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mossberg makes the Maverik 88 also, which is a cheaper version of the Mossberg 500. I'm pretty sure that it's parts are interchangeable. I am looking at one of the three myself. I'd like a semi auto possibly, but can't find a reasonable one that doesn't have bad history.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
I have owned all 3 the 870 was a great gun but I sold it to get my first semi auto. The wasn't a bad gun either. I like my benelli for waterfowl since it has a plastic stock and forearm. For those of you saying that are saying that the benelli is high priced I looked at them the other day and you can get a brand new nova for just over $400 unless you want the cammo or the super nova.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals