• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a ranger

Glimatic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
N/A
Make / Model
N/A
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. I’m new to the truck world, well, cars in general. A little bit of a back story about me - I’m a highschool student looking for a ranger to help me with my side gig, which is flipping dirt bikes. I got some mechanic skills when it comes to two strokes and how to get them running. Enough about that though, I’ll get to my questions.

As I stated above, looking for a ranger to do causal driving to pickup lawnmowers, dirt bikes, help parents, etc. I’m also going into college next year so it’ll be my daily if I end up getting one. My price range is about 6KCAD max, using what I’ve saved up.

There’s lots of controversy over what engine to get online, some tell me the V6, some tell me the I4. From my own research the I4 seems more reliable, but harder to find(?). I’ve been browsing marketplace a ton these past few weeks getting an idea of the prices as I am planning to buy at the end of the summer.

Regardless, let me know what you guys think as experienced ford ranger experts, haha, I am just not sure what’s good and what’s not, and how I can tell what engine the ranger has depending on its year and all of that.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay, appreciate if you read it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
4 cylinders are rare if you want/need a 4x4, but the motors are damn reliable and get great gas mileage.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
college on a budget, eh?
my 2005 2wd with the 2.3 duratec has 367,500 miles. ran great for the first 1/4 million miles then slowly started using oil.
it was my work truck, I just kept driving the damned thing. the only failure was an alternator 8-9 years ago.
auto trans were equipped with 4.10 rear axle ratios, manuals got the 3.73 either can pull whatever you need to pull.
the Duratec started about 2001/2002? great engine, cruises at 70-80 easily. aluminum block is very light that makes the regular cab trucks quite nimble.

winter driving, I put a set of dedicated winter tires on, had 400 lbs of tools in the back and conquered anything that southeast Michigan could throw at me.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

4 cyl. or 6 cyl. with a young adult male.... regardless you're going to find some way to; 1) not get good mileage or 2) test the abilities of the vehicle to the maximum limit. :p

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My first was a 3.0l v-6 manual transmission 2wd. It’s kinda hilly here and I knew I was going to be working the truck so I felt a 6 cyl was needed. It worked well, but I was a dumb kid and crunched it. At that point I needed a bigger truck (I was doing construction work) so I replaced it with an F-150 with the straight 6 and manual transmission plus 4x4.

Then I got sucked fully into the world of vehicles and here we are.

IMHO, a 2wd and/or a 4cyl would work. A 4x4 and 6 cyl would be arguably more ideal for what you’re planning to do (especially if you want to eventually pull a trailer), but your fuel and repair costs are going to be a little higher. The newer the Ranger, the more likely you will minimize repairs needed, but the older ones repairs are often cheaper. So it can be a balancing act. Repairs to my 92 Ranger are cheaper than to my 2000 Ranger. Both trucks are capable of the same things. I also blew the engine in the 92 and the transmission in the 00, so things happen. The 2.9 gets a bad rap, but it can be a decent motor. The 3.0 tends to be pretty reliable but it doesn’t put out the power of the 4.0. The 4.0 SOHC (2001 and newer) puts out more power than all, but they are prone to timing chain problems. The older 4.0 OHV is pretty solid, it’s essentially a bored and stroked 2.9.

I think the frame is what you really need to watch. Especially on the 98+ trucks. Behind the cats on the 98+ tends to rot, all years where the frame comes up behind the cab and around the rear leaf spring hangers. Caught early enough, it’s entirely repairable and 98+ trucks the frame is actually a two piece design that joins at the front leaf spring hanger behind the cab. I actually did a half frame replacement on my one 2000.

Oh, and an extended cab is rather handy.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
having a single cab, i say look for an extended cab. and hte 3.0 v6 is a great engine with a standard transmission behind it. it gets decent gas mileage ever where i have driven it around texas.

the four cylinders get alot better though and i would have no problem with a four cylinder and five speed transmission in a ranger.

if you find one, look under see if it has torsion bars. if you want it to stay stock height and looks, torsion bars are fine but if you ever want to do anything else, look for one with coil springs.

unless you get a 4x4. i think those are all torsion bars. but the two wheel drive edge and sport are both torsion bar front ends, which sucks for mods

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome!

Condition is the most important factor, at least for me. I would aim for one that has less than 150,000 miles. All the engines are reliable. Make sure they run nice and tight.

Get a Ranger that is not rusting out, especially the frame. Rusty doors and the tailgate can easily replaced. They can be found at a U-pull junkyard. The pickup bed floors are prone to rusting out just above the axle on the passenger's side.

Some Rangers may be more easily modified than others, but they are all pretty easy to work on.

And yes, we all want 4WD. Mine didn't come that way, but this summer's plans include a limited slip differential.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello.

Since you're in Ontario, my first suggestion is to find the Ranger with the least amount of rust on it.

6 or 4 is a fun argument, but you'll adapt to whatever engine it has soon enough.

I will throw in my vote for the extended cab. It gives you places for your crate of tie down straps, bungees, as well as the tool box and other items.

Good luck and post pics of what you find.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think an extended cab 4 cylinder manual transmission in the 2001+ to get the duratec and better riding SLA would be a good thing to look for. I kinda wish I had looked for a duratec Ranger but I wanted I beam suspension more than learning a new engine... I know the Lima's pretty good... You're in the rust belt, take the advice from the fellow rust belters, I don't have that problem so I don't know anything about rust... I ignore the '90 and it's been garaged a for at least 6 months total of the 23? years I've had it... no rust...

fillipyang8

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi. I'm new to the truck world, indeed, vehicles overall. A tad of an origin story about me - I'm a highschool understudy searching for do my nursing assignment https://www.aussiessay.com/nursing-assignment-help/ and an officer to assist me with my side hustle, which is flipping soil bicycles. I got a few repairman abilities with regards to two strokes and how to make them run. Enough about that however, I'll get to my inquiries.

As I stated above, looking for a ranger to do causal driving to pickup lawnmowers, dirt bikes, help parents, etc. I’m also going into college next year so it’ll be my daily if I end up getting one. My price range is about 6KCAD max, using what I’ve saved up.

There’s lots of controversy over what engine to get online, some tell me the V6, some tell me the I4. From my own research the I4 seems more reliable, but harder to find(?). I’ve been browsing marketplace a ton these past few weeks getting an idea of the prices as I am planning to buy at the end of the summer.

Regardless, let me know what you guys think as experienced ford ranger experts, haha, I am just not sure what’s good and what’s not, and how I can tell what engine the ranger has depending on its year and all of that.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay, appreciate if you read it.
The 4cyl rangers, great in gas, limited on power. 3.0, power of the 4cylinder, gas mileage of a 4.0. 4.0, lower mpgs, lotsa power.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
The 4cyl rangers, great in gas, limited on power. 3.0, power of the 4cylinder, gas mileage of a 4.0. 4.0, lower mpgs, lotsa power.
I got a 3.0 liter. It's a good engine and gets better mileage than the 4.0. It's definitely not fast. Still, I gave it a performance air filter and dual exhausts, also use all synthetic oil, and installed an electric fan. I put in a performance chip, but noticed no significant gain. Those little tweaks have all added up, made small incremental changes in horsepower and mileage. Maybe too, a performance coil might help.

A regular cab ranger also weighs 500 lbs less than the extended cab, giving it some pep off the starting line. I'm just guessing, but maybe mine goes 0-60 in under 10 secs. My friend has a 4.0. It's much faster. Neither are hot rods, but the regular cab handles more like a very sure footed car. It turns better in twisty places and parks on a dime. If you are single and have no need to haul around more than one passenger, get the "sportier" version of the Ranger, regardless of engine size.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I got a 3.0 liter. It's a good engine and gets better mileage than the 4.0. It's definitely not fast. Still, I gave it a performance air filter and dual exhausts, also use all synthetic oil, and installed an electric fan. I put in a performance chip, but noticed no significant gain. Those little tweaks have all added up, made small incremental changes in horsepower and mileage. Maybe too, a performance coil might help.

A regular cab ranger also weighs 500 lbs less than the extended cab, giving it some pep off the starting line. I'm just guessing, but maybe mine goes 0-60 in under 10 secs. My friend has a 4.0. It's must faster. Neither are hot rods.
the butt dyno doesn't lie.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
the butt dyno doesn't lie.
I'm not really a numbers guy. It's more about the fun factor really. BTW, way back when I owned a carbureted 283 V8 Chevy. The 3.0 liter truck is faster and maybe even handles better.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
...As I stated above, looking for a ranger to do causal driving to pickup lawnmowers, dirt bikes, help parents, etc...
For this, I'd get a 4cyl. One head, one cam, one exhaust manifold, etc. And much easier to work on.

...I’m also going into college next year so it’ll be my daily if I end up getting one...
If this is in the plan I'd definitely get the 4.0 or some six (not sure what was available really). My 2.3 lima can't get out of its own way but it's fun to rev through the gears.... while smart cars are passing. MPG is a little worse. I get 19 tops and the 4.0 is 16ish?

And definitely go for ext cab, especially if you're tall. You get more leg room in the front.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm not really a numbers guy. It's more about the fun factor really. BTW, way back when I owned a carbureted 283 V8 Chevy. The 3.0 liter truck is faster and maybe even handles better.
No numbers, it's all by the seat of your pants telling you if you've got more HP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals