• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a ranger not in usa

Idunno

Reaction score
So i am not from usa, some turdworld country. There is a ranger 1996, 4.0 single cab automatic for sale 2150 in usd. It has a crack on rear shock mount area of frame, reinforced with plate and bolts no welding. I wanted to know if its something i should avoid at all costs? How would you repair it in my conditions? Its the lowest price ranger in my area.
It also needs shifter column repair, radiator change. The bed and cabin gap are different on left and right, i dont know the reason, the body panels have no bondo, no repaint, all factory stickers are there. I drove it 1-2 meters forwards and back since the shifter is broken, shifter indicator doesnt show which gear i am in. Watched chrisfix and other 1990ies era youtube videos shifter column repair, it seems repairable. The owner says something is wrong with tranny, since he meth crackhead repaired it i didnt ask what

Attachments

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

As far as the plate, how big is the crack? Is there rust? Is the frame bent?

If it is a small crack, I wouldn't worry too much, but have it welded at your earliest convenience.

Idunno

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

As far as the plate, how big is the crack? Is there rust? Is the frame bent?

If it is a small crack, I wouldn't worry too much, but have it welded at your earliest convenience.
We dont have much problems with rust here, but my jeep wrangler frame is hollow rusted at one place. As for ranger it has surface "rust". I dont know if its bent, it was 40+ celsius hot i wore all white to save myself from sun so couldnt go underside

Idunno

Reaction score
I know its in bad shape, when i changed the tranfes case button positions something like relay made constant tick sound, i dont need 4x4, i already drive jeep and dont want any slow car

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Gap between the bed a cab. Holes for mounting bed are oversized enough make up for a half inch or so difference.

the other issues a more concerning.

For me the biggest concern is all the things that you don’t see, seller isn’t showing you. If the quality of the the repairs you can see is pretty bad, what about the stuff you can’t see.

Idunno

Reaction score
Gap between the bed a cab. Holes for mounting bed are oversized enough make up for a half inch or so difference.

the other issues a more concerning.

For me the biggest concern is all the things that you don’t see, seller isn’t showing you. If the quality of the the repairs you can see is pretty bad, what about the stuff you can’t see.
Thats my concern also, i need a pickup or van like vw transporter, but because of import bans and local culture of praising japanese cars even beaten to hell hilux pickup or vw t4 costs much expensive, i dont want to drive a manual car, its a 4 million population city, if its countryside i would.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's the parts supply like for a Ranger there?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome to the site.

Reading all of the issues that you say the truck has, my first reaction is RUN. Don't walk away from that truck, RUN. If you're not skilled with car repairs, it will cost you thousands more than the value of the truck to put it on the road. Even if you're able to do the work yourself, you're looking at a new transmission, possibly a new transfer case (or maybe just the shift motor), new radiator, and frame repairs.

Something else worthwhile to consider is that because you only drove it a few feet, you don't know if there's anything else wrong with it. For all you know, the brakes could be entirely shot, and more.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's reality. While the truck may very well be repairable, in my opinion, it's not worth fixing.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's an "orphan" truck where you are. Unless you have a GOOD source for parts and know how to make major repairs, forget it.

I'm surprised a US–style Ranger is in Kazakhstan.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hello! Awesome!

What's life like in a turd world country? It seems like terrible but also fun and free, especially if you have a dollar.

Anyways, I would say given your circumstances, its actually a perfect vehicle. My 4.0 ranger is my SHTF vehicle. It takes a beating, is easy to fix, and pretty capable both on and off road. I had the same but different ranger in my 20's and beat the crap out of it across many states, regretted selling it, and luckily found another one a decade later I now cherish (and beat up).

I would say in your case dont sweat the transmission or body cosmetics. It might be a PITA but if you can score a used or rebuilt trans its an easy swap. Otherwise if you're savvy and can get parts rebuild it yourself (with a manual and youtube). I would just road warrior it out for body work. Frankenstein together whatever sheet/metal plate you can find with bolts and nuts, rivets, and a crappy welder....Turd world style!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Does Amazon deliver there?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does Amazon deliver there?
Importing things from far away kinda sorta works for toys, not when you need it get to work on Monday.

I have been on the other side of the coin, waiting for slow leaky boats to bring over stuff for Russian and South Korean farm equipment sucks and can take weeks or longer... and that was 5-10 years ago.

Idunno

Reaction score
It's an "orphan" truck where you are. Unless you have a GOOD source for parts and know how to make major repairs, forget it.

I'm surprised a US–style Ranger is in Kazakhstan.
There are plenty of us made cars here. Imported before import bans. 6 banger jeep parts are atleast interchangeable. I also tinker turdworld engineering when i cant find oem details better than chinese parts especially sensors like cps tps etc.
Alot of same era ford explorers i dont know the generation but the front and back are the same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals